Spots on betta fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marina

Aquarium Advice Regular
I noticed that my Betta has a black spot (like a dot) on one of his pectoral fins and a few on his vail tail...I read that could be "Oomycetes" or water mold infection...HELP!!! I have in a 10gal tank, water levels are "almost perfect" per my local tropical fish store, temperature has fluctuated due to a faulty heater (it turns off by itself when it reaches the right temp. but it has not come back on and yesterday the water was cold!)...I am pretty new about this...Thanks for your suggestions...

I would get a new heater ASAP. And just keep the water REALLY clean, and see it that helps. If not, you can try salt treatments and heat.

Hello Marina :)
I would really recommend investing in a new heater. I strongly recommend a Marineland Stealth (50 W would be good for your 10gal). Also maybe invest in a Liquid test kit if you can (I recommend APIs Freshwater Master Kit) Keeping prestine water quality is a must to maintain a disease free aquarium, and it will save you the headaches of dealing with infections.
Keep up with your water changes +- 30 to 40% weekly, stable water Temp and see how everything goes from there.
Good Luck

Oomycetes (from a google search) are known as plant pathogens. The black spots you see on your betta's fins are most likely the beginning of finrot.

I agree with the above posters - get a new, reliable heater, do weekly water changes of about 25% weekly, although I agree with the higher amount that supradupafast suggests for now to clear up the finrot. Pristine water quality - stable temperature of 80 degrees for a betta, and keeping up with water changes weekly - is vital to a betta's health. Finrot often occurs when the temperature gets too cool or fluctuates and the water isn't changed on a regular schedule.

Thank you all for your advice. The same day I noticed the water too cold I went to purchase a new heater and I am glad to inform that just by chance I chose a Stealth and is doing great! Temperature at 80 F. The water looks much clear and last nite test (strips- I need to invest in the liquid kind) shows good levels. The Betta is back in the tank and he looks great...chasing a little bit more the 2 poor guppies this morning...I want to post a picture that I took of him last night so you all can see the "spot" he has on his right fin...let me see if I can post the picture...Thank you so much for your help!

Picture of the Betta

This is the pic I was talking about...it maybe hard to see the spot...is the pectoral fin...
Thanks!

Attachments

• Robie's spot.jpg
    Robie's spot.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 173
Thanks for the picture...I would say it looks like finrot. The eye looks a bit strange too - it could be popeye. Popeye is another indicator of poor water quality, so once you start and maintain your water changing schedule, your betta will get better. Liquid-based test kits, as you know, give the most reliable results. Do a few bigger water changes as supra suggested to "jump-start" the healing process. When your fish is sick, once-daily water changes for a few days is not overdoing it. Then you can settle into your once-a-week schedule of 25-30%. For a 10 gallon tank, I would change between 2 and 3 gallons weekly.

Back
Top Bottom