spring water???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm pretty bummed cause I see the master test kit online and the 3 tests I got were that price...

It is by far a lot cheaper to buy it online. I think mots people do it on this board that way. Personally I can't because I live in Canada and delivery is outlandish on these things but I would suggest this as your best option. As I said it would save you a boat load of cash in the long run. Some tests do run out before other do if you test more frequently for something so those single tests you have would still be helpful

Yeah...I'm probably having nitrite issues it sounds like....I wish there was a seperate nitrite test kit so I didn't have to buy another $30 test kit

I'm also sorry if I've come off as bossy on this. It's not my intention by any means. It's just very upsetting when people think that caring for fish is so simple. There is far more to it than adding fish to water. There are so many things you grow up seeing and thinking are ok but when you get into learning about it and seeing exactly what goes on inside that tank you realize things are far different than you thought. Local pet stores don't help usually with such poor advice being given and so many people just do not know any better.

I will say of all the pets I own(dog, cat, bird) my fish tank is probably the most work. It is def the most expensive investment when I look at long term costs!

lyric112209 said:
I wish there was a seperate nitrite test kit so I didn't have to buy another $30 test kit

Their is, you can buy the elements of the API seperately, they all come with color card and tube.

Oh my...thanks so much....I never would have thought to look there!

So does the nitrite just go through its own process or are there things to get rid or speed it up?

Oh, and since there has been so much death in my tank is there anything I need to do before its time to add more fish?

So does the nitrite just go through its own process or are there things to get rid or speed it up?

there are some great articles in the article section that really explain it out. Some on fish in cycles and others on fish in.

Basically though the whole nitrogen cycle goes through stages.

Food and other waste create ammonia. The bacteria that grow during your cycle in your filter media convert ammonia to nitrite. This is the shortest stage in the cycle. Once the ammo converts to nitrite your ammo levels drop to zero and your nitrite will spike. Then your cycle will begin to process the nitrite and convert it to nitrate. Nitrite to nitrate takes a lot longer than ammo to nitrite but ones that happens your nitrite will drop to 0 and your nitrate will steady out. Nitrite and ammo can be harmful to your fish at levels above .25 ppm. So while doing a fish in cycle it's important to use water changes to get this number down. It's the only way to combat this until your cycle is complete and the bacteria handle this on it's own. Ideally you want your ammoa and nitrite to stay at 0 consistently and nitrate below 20.

Nitrate is less toxic to fish, so anything under 20 ppm is a great target. The only thing is nitrate doesn't break down or convert like ammo or nitrite. The only way to get rid of this is to do water changes. Usually in a cycled tank that is properly stocked a 30% weekly water change is often enough to maintain.

Again there are some great articles that will be very helpful to you. I know they sure helped clear up a lot of my questions when I was getting back into this hobby

Oh, and since there has been so much death in my tank is there anything I need to do before its time to add more fish?

I'm going to suggest this article

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

What you are currently doing is a fish in cycle. It explains the whole process out and will answer most of your questions. You basically want to stagger the entry of new fish into your tank. Your cycle only produces enough bacteria to support your current bioload so by adding too many fish at once or too close together you end up with a lot of extra waste in your tank with nothing there to convert it.

I'd wait until all of your fish are healthy again because you do not want to have any new fish getting sick. Once your fish are all healthy get some active carbon and run it in your filter for a few weeks. This will remove any medication left in your tank. Then depending on the state of your cycle you would probably be safe to add a couple new fish once you know what is suitable for your tank and with what you currently have.

If your fish don't survive the illness I would recommend a fishless cycle. This will allow you to build up your cycle really strong so you can add all of your fish at once when the cycle is done. You also don't need to deal with water changes or worry about fish dieing during this time.

If you can get a hold of a friend or someone with a healthy tank that is established and get some media from their filter that will really speed up your cycle process

Back
Top Bottom