Start a new tank with old water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deadna

Aquarium Advice Regular
My younger sibling just recently got a 10 gallon tank. He really wants fish sooner than a month from now, and I was wondering if I put water from my 30 into his 10 during a water change, would that already be cycled? Or would I still need to wait for a normal cycle? And will adding a dosage of aquarium bacteria help at all? Thanks!

Probably best would be put an xtra filter in your tank for a few weeks then put it in your brothers ten gal immediately as fast as you can.

I have a Marina i25 running as extra filtration in my 30g, and he has a RENA smart flow 20 ready to use for his. If I put both the Marina and his RENA together in, would that give it the bacteria?

If you have 2 filters and put one of them straight from your tank to his, its will be ready for fish. You would have to leave it there for a couple of months until the other had cycled, once you remove it, he needs to keep an eye on water parameters for a week or 2.

Got it. So I'll leave them both in there until the bigger one is biologically settled.

Back
Top Bottom