Starting 10 gallon half moon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

warren_rc77

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, l'm starting a 10 gallon half moon. I've had it running for about 3 days now. I'm attempting to do a fishless cycle. While reading my water specs, I see I have very hard water. What would be the best fish to put in the tank that are hardy and enjoy hard water?

How do you know you have hard water? What is your ph, kh, and gh?

Honestly most fish can acclimate to any water so I would be more worried about getting the proper size and amount of fish for that size tank. You could do nano fish such as CPD's, Ember tetra's, Chili rasbora's, Clown killifish, Scarlet badis, just to name a few along with some small shrimp like Red cherry shrimp. Or you could do 3-5 guppies with a dwarf gourami or many other types of smaller fish combinations.

Hi Rivercats, thanks for the reply. I tested my water by using the Tetra EasyStrips 6 in 1 kit. It states that I have "very hard water". What would your best suggestion be for the proper size and amount of fish? What exactly is CPD?

Hi, l'm starting a 10 gallon half moon. I've had it running for about 3 days now. I'm attempting to do a fishless cycle. While reading my water specs, I see I have very hard water. What would be the best fish to put in the tank that are hardy and enjoy hard water?

Join the very hard water club :)
My advice... Don't worry about it.

Test strips are not always very accurate. Liquid test kits will give you accurate readings for the individual ph, kh, and gh. As I said I wouldn't worry about it.

CPD's are Celestial Pearl Danio's. Stocking amounts depends on the species you choose. I suggest making a list of fish you like and then figure out stocking amounts. You are very limited to the amount and type of fish that work in a 10g tank.

Rivercats,

What do you think of this combo:

5 x Celestial Pearl Danio (Danio margaritatus)
5 x Chili Rasbora (Boraras brigittae)
2 x Scarlet Badis (Dario Dario)
2 x Cherry Shrimp (Neocaridina heteropoda)

Due to the small size of CPD's and Chili's I honestly would pick one and do a school of at least 20. It may seem like a lot but I have 50 Chili's, which are very tiny and 20 CPD's in a 55g and can tell you they need to be in larger groups, even in smaller tanks in order to make a visual statement. If mixed they will get lost and the effect looks jumbled IMO. The badis are fine. Also remember these fish have tiny mouths and foods must be very small. I use finely ground high quality flakes, Repashy Superfoods (community one), and frozen Cyclops as it is one of the few frozen foods that is actually small enough for them to eat.

Ok, so stick with either the CPD or Chili's. And I could still add Badis as well without any issues?

Yes a pair of Badis is fine to add also but be sure to get a pair as two males can be quite aggressive with each other especially in a smaller tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom