Starting Anew - Plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dangora

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, if you saw my previous thread, you would know that I had an ammonia spike due to my lack of preparation. I started doing pwcs and got the ammonia down but it started to creep back up eventually. I finally found a good lfs, and they accepted my fish this morning. I cleaned out my tank and am ready to prepare the correct way for my second attempt.

Getting rid of the fish worked out well since I go on vacation tomorrow :oops:

After much conversation with the informative employee, I told him that I desired to do a planted tank this time around. He suggested the the 8.8lb (4kg) bag of Fluval Stratum as my substrate. I am in the middle of reading the book The 101 Best Aquarium Plants by Mary. E Sweeney . I will finish the book over my vacation and do some more research to compile a list of good low-maintenance (probably low-light) plants that I would like to use. I also plan on buying some driftwood. I have a couple of questions as of right now. I plan on starting with three or four harlequin rasboras whenever my tank is done cycling and is ready for fish.

1. I have this hood with these bulbs; are they okay for live plants?
2. Should I mix anything with the substrate or is it good to go?
3. Is there any useful information/articles on driftwood (I know nothing) ?
4. What else am I going to need to do a planted tank?
5. Is it safer to put plants in the tank after, before, or during cycling?
6. Another employee at the store said that I should only feed my fish three times a week?
7. I bought an AquaClear 20 and I want to replace the carbon with Bio-Chem Zorb; good idea? Any other suggestions for media?
8. Any plant suggestions?
9. Any other info?

Tank info:
~ Ten Gallons
~ AquaClear 20

Okay, these are my answers, don't know if they're as accurate as some of the other ones you'll get though:
1. It should be fine for most low-light setups.
2. You could try root tabs if you're planning on growing swords. Many people seem to reccomend ecocomplete as a substrate.
3. Here's a good thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/new-piece-of-wood-159164.html
4. Most people reccomend CO2 and some sort of nutrient supplement.
5. Go ahead and put them in when you start cycling, plants love it.
6. I don't know, but I feed mine every other day.
7. Some of the mesh sponges they have are good.
8. Java fern, hornwort, java moss, anubias, crypts, and anacharis are all good starter plants for low light setups
9. Nope.

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't plan on using swords, the book suggested beginners stay away and I believe they need a lot of maintenance ( of memory from the book although I definitely could be wrong).

My lfs sells the c02 set that the fluval plant kit uses. I was thinking about that but is c02 system a must for plants?

Hi and welcome to AA! Good for you for returning your fish and doing a fishless cycle! I don't have any experience with plants yet, I'm still learning too. I don't think CO2 is a must for some plants. Jetajockey is a member here and he's great with plants, you might want to PM him and ask him to read this (although he reads this forum so he might reply at some point).

I just thought of a couple of other questions too:

Does the substrate need to be replaced every so often?

Is it safe to use a gravel vacuum on the substrate?

Is there an algae eater that can live in the ten gallon tank (like I know cories have to be in schools)?

Dangora said:
I just thought of a couple of other questions too:

Does the substrate need to be replaced every so often?

Is it safe to use a gravel vacuum on the substrate?

Is there an algae eater that can live in the ten gallon tank (like I know cories have to be in schools)?

No I don't think it's necessary to switch out the plant substrates.

Yes it is safe.

Shrimp and snails.

Thanks for the help. Just a couple more questions:

Can I put just the substrate in and start cycling? I would then order my plants online and add them when they arrive?

What tools do I need for the plants?

Any special nutrients or "foods" I can get for the plants?

How long do I rinse the substrate so it won't cloud up my water?

Dangora said:
Thanks for the help. Just a couple more questions:

Can I put just the substrate in and start cycling? I would then order my plants online and add them when they arrive?

What tools do I need for the plants?

Any special nutrients or "foods" I can get for the plants?

How long do I rinse the substrate so it won't cloud up my water?

Yes and yes.

I use scissors to trim my plants.

It depends on the plants. Many here reccomended flourish excel to me.

About three or four times.

Bought some driftwood. Currently soaking :)

The two small pieces (in the round buckets) were like $7.99 each at my lfs
and the largest piece (there are two different angle pics) was $8.00 at a different store near my house. It's a smaller chain mostly in the northeast region; Pet Supplies Plus. The staff at the one near me isn't all that helpful though, but they have the cheapest prices I see around.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110809_102229.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110809_102229.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 52
  • ForumRunner_20110809_102256.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110809_102256.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 63
  • ForumRunner_20110809_102311.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110809_102311.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 53
  • ForumRunner_20110809_102324.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110809_102324.jpg