Starting my first South/Central American tank with my son

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DFR15

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone.. My son and I are going to setup either a 75 or 90 gallon Central/South American cichlid tank. In the past, I had some African Cichlids in a 55 gallon tank many years ago so I'm not a beginner but I am nowhere near an expert. Growing up, my dad had Oscars and JD"s. I've always wanted to have some of my own plus my son really likes the Red Texas Cichlid and the Blue Acara.. My plan is to get all the fish male and young as possible. Here's a list of the fish we want..

Blue Acara
Green Terror
Firemouth
Oscar
Jack Dempsey
Texas
Metrops

Again my plan is to get them as babies and all male. I also will only be getting one species each.. Out of list, how many can I get to start with? I'm hoping mostly all of them but I don't want to overstock. I will be upgrading later to bigger tanks so I figured If I got them as babies, I could get most of them and then move the fish as needed. Again, I'm no expert so I don't know if my plan is even possible. Any advice on this would greatly be appreciated.. Thanks in advance...

Well, first, these are mostly aggressive fish. Two, getting one of each assures even more aggression as fish in groups of their own species tend to be less aggressive than individuals. Three, if you get babies, you are not going to be able to tell what sex they are. Four, Texas and Terror and Jack Dempsey cichlids get big and oscars get HUGE. Never heard of Metrops.
My recommendation is to set up a nice tank and pick one cichlid species to inhabit it. Firemouths are attractive and interesting and don't get too big.

Back
Top Bottom