Starting up a 75 gal. freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce033

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. I am new to this site and need advice. Im in the middle of starting up a new tank and wanted advice on if the fish I was looking at would get along and if they would be over stocked.

Stock
1 red tail shark
4 pictus catfish
8 giant danios
1 black knife ghostfish
1 demasoni cichild

Please tell me what you think and if they will get along.
Thanks

Hello. I am new to this site and need advice. Im in the middle of starting up a new tank and wanted advice on if the fish I was looking at would get along and if they would be over stocked.

Stock

1 red tail shark

4 pictus catfish

8 giant danios

1 black knife ghostfish

1 demasoni cichild

Please tell me what you think and if they will get along.

Thanks

Hello!

I think your stocking is a little off IMO...

the RTS and demasoni can be quite territorial whereas the pictus and danios are peaceful. Not sure how the combo would work out.

No no and no to the BGK IMO... I've seen a full sized one in a 75g and it looked terribly cramped ALONE. They get very large, are nocturnal, and that being said do their hunting at night. If not well fed i would worry about the danios.

An another note, do not touch pictus cats. I love mine but they have a special thingy on them that is their natural defense system and it will make your hand swell up like a bee sting if you touch them. If you do by accident, just some antibiotic ointment will clear it up soon.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

If I got a BGK I would let him grow to a good size but would try and get a bigger tank. My only big worry would be the demasoni. I dont know how well he would woto.

If I got a BGK I would let him grow to a good size but would try and get a bigger tank. My only big worry would be the demasoni. I dont know how well he would woto.

It's better to get stock you know will work because life can happen and if you don't have the funds for that big tank then your in hot water.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Ya I do agree there. I will he keep him in mind but will definitely make sure I can fully care for him before get him. Do you by an chance know roughly how fast they grow.

Ya I do agree there. I will he keep him in mind but will definitely make sure I can fully care for him before get him. Do you by an chance know roughly how fast they grow.

I do not but I have done reading on them before. Nearly all of them are wild caught and it not eating for a bit is to be expected. They are very shy and like said above are nocturnal. Provide plenty of hiding places. And it's never a bad idea to QT your new fish to make sure they are free of diseases and parasites.

They are carnivores if I remember correctly.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thank you very much for your advice. I will let you know if I get one and tell how the tank and stock works.

BTW one more question. I had tossed around the idea of putting a crab or crawfish in the tank cause I like the looks of them but really fear the would fight with the pictus.

BTW one more question. I had tossed around the idea of putting a crab or crawfish in the tank cause I like the looks of them but really fear the would fight with the pictus.

Crayfish are always a gamble. Either it's going to be the bully and try to nip at your fish... Or it's going to hide while your fish try to eat it. That's usually how it goes.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

An African brown knife fish would definitely fit in a 75 gallon if you want a knife fish.

I would recommend a larger rainbowfish species like boesemani, turquoise, or red Irian (or a mix :D)

My pictus cat was a lot of fun to keep but like said do not touch it.

Demasonis can be very aggressive and I would not recommend one.

Red tail sharks are cool but can become aggressive as they get larger.

I done know if i could get one though. My lfs only has black ghost knifefish in the way of knifefish. But I have one more question. Since the demasonis is no long on the list due to aggression. How would one or two Angel fish due?

Back
Top Bottom