Stocking a 29G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeathB

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My tank should be finished up cycling by about the middle of the month. My definite plans are for a school of tiger barbs (6 ok?) and a flame dwarf gourami.

Does anyone have any good suggestions (as opposed to bad ones XD) on what else to add in to the mix?

When I get my tax refund, both the 29 and 20g tanks will be getting t5ho lighting and diy co2 supplemented with excel. plant ideas are also welcome. The 29 is empty cycling, but it already has an anubias nana, a crinum thaianum (fastest sprouter I've ever seen) and 2 hygrophila difformis.

+1 on not mixing the DG and barbs. If you want a nice color pop that'll go with the tigers id go with some gold barbs atleast 5. A group of 6 tigers is good but id go 7 to help with aggression. Again you could stay with barbs and go cherry barbs. That'll be a nice barb tank

I like tetras because they play nice and won't hurt my plants. But barbs will be okay in a 29g, just don't mix them with smaller ones. I would get 10 neons, some cory's and various other s. americans but it's all up to you.

Tiger barbs are doable with a DG, but they will stress it. Cherry barbs is a good suggestion. Rosies, snakeskins, pandas, or the like will work as well. You could also skip the DG and up the number of barbs. I had a 29 with 9 tigers (3 of each color morph) and 4 yoyos and it was a blast to watch.

I like tetras because they play nice and won't hurt my plants. But barbs will be okay in a 29g, just don't mix them with smaller ones. I would get 10 neons, some cory's and various other s. americans but it's all up to you.

I think I read somewhere that sometimes tetras will school with barbs, but its not something I think I'd try without more evidence.

Don't forget the algae eater! :) If you like those anyways, I am real excited to get my otos! Here is a cool site for stocking ideas : www.aqadvisor.com

Otos are brilliant little guys. I've got a few in my 29 and 10. They're like wee little plecos that can sit on plants without crushing them beneath their monstrous frames.

Tiger barbs are doable with a DG, but they will stress it. Cherry barbs is a good suggestion. Rosies, snakeskins, pandas, or the like will work as well. You could also skip the DG and up the number of barbs. I had a 29 with 9 tigers (3 of each color morph) and 4 yoyos and it was a blast to watch.

My biggest reason for tiger barbs is because I wanted clown loaches, but I just don't have the space or money for a tank big enough for them. :(

How good do other barbs get along with tigers (not just different color types)?

I love the idea of the yoyo loaches. Will have to look into that a bit.

My biggest reason for tiger barbs is because I wanted clown loaches, but I just don't have the space or money for a tank big enough for them. :(

As long as the barbs have numbers their are fine with pretty much anything (a broad stmt I know) because they spread their aggressions out on eachother. Best to have about 7 of each though.

I think I read somewhere that sometimes tetras will school with barbs, but its not something I think I'd try without more evidence.

Tetra school, barbs schoal. Very similar, but different enough to take note of and very cool to observe.

You and me both. I'd love a huge clown tank. Barbs get along with other barb species decently, but they thrive in proper groupings of their own. In a 29 there's no chance of doing multiple types well IMO.

Dwarf chains or kuhlis would also work. ;)

Tetra school, barbs schoal. Very similar, but different enough to take note of and very cool to observe.

You and me both. I'd love a huge clown tank. Barbs get along with other barb species decently, but they thrive in proper groupings of their own. In a 29 there's no chance of doing multiple types well IMO.

Dwarf chains or kuhlis would also work. ;)

Not a big fan of kuhlis. Little black worms that I never saw when I had them. Probably didn't have enough of them for them to be comfortable. I prefer dojos because of how relaxed they are. Napping in the strangest spots. Of course they'd get too big for a 29.

I do like what I hear about yoyos exhibiting some of the same behaviors as clown loaches though.

And now I have to go google the difference between schooling and schoaling.

Shoaling: Staying together but not generally all in the same direction (schooling)

Yeah?

LOL... yeah. Basically. Barbs will never stop jockeying for position within the group. They do that by nipping and harrassing the other fish. That's why a proper grouping is so key.

Back
Top Bottom