Stocking Asian Fishes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrimeObsession

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I have a 75 gallon tank that I am in the process of setting up. I want to do an Asian theme tank with plants and fishes from this region.

So far, I will be stocking these species:
Tiger Barb(Puntius tetrazona) x 12
Blue Gourami(Trichogster trichopters) x 1m1f
Zebra Loach(Botia striata) x 6
Rainbow Shark(Epalzeorhynchos frenatum) x 1

I want to add another shoaling species, and I was thinking of Zebra Danios. I don't know how they'll do with the Gourami though. I basically want a blue fish (ideally a shoaling fish) to add into the mix. Any ideas? I want something from Asia of course:)

The Tiger Barbs will rip apart your Gourami's fins. Cherry Barbs or Odessa Barbs are much more compatible. Zebra Danios may leave the Gourami alone if you have enough of them (8+), though I'd be concerned about the stress of them zipping by. The loaches will be fine with Tigers and Zebras.

My guess is that the rest of your tank *might* be OK with the Rainbow Shark. I don't have much experience with those, though.

Hi, and thanks for the reply. I found posts by several people who have had success with the Tiger Barb and Blue Gourami combo, but obviously there are no guarantees with all the fish I want to keep. Tiger barbs calm down significantly when kept in appropriate numbers, and the Blue Gourami is a lot more aggressive then many think/ what is suggested on many websites. They are definitely a semi-agressive fish that is known to pester or even kill smaller fish, which is why I was worried about the danios. I am interested in other barb species, but like I said, I'd like to find a blue colored fish to add into the mix- are there any blue colored barbs that would work?

Tiger Barbs are notorious for terrorizing long-finned fish and are generally incompatible with most docile fish that occupy the top 3/4 of the tank and aren't constantly on the move. Your tank size may work in your favor. If you really want to try it, I'd have at least 15 Tigers in there. Be prepared to re-home the gourami, though. Zebra Danios would be OK with them because they're impossible to catch.

I can't think of any blue Asian fish off the top of my head. I do mostly South Americans.

If you'd like a variety of coloured fish. Look into the different colour morphs for tiger barbs. Also cherry and Denison barbs are awesome fish.

Have you thought of other species of gouramis like pearls?

Not sure on the shark either?

Heh, I've been going back and forth between doing a SA setup with dwarf cichlids and this setup I've posted. I was just at the LFS, and man those blue rams look nice. I bet the Apistogramma species all look just as nice.

From what I've read, the rainbow shark will focus it's aggression on similar looking fish. They can be fine with other types, but again, we'll see how it goes.

I really like the Pearl Gourami, but I think the more aggressive Blue Gourami might be a better fit with these fish.

At this point, I guess I could try the Danios, or go away from blue and do another small group of barbs.

I also really like the idea of getting different types of Tiger Barbs. I think there's three variations, so something like 4 regular, 4 green, and 4 albino would add some variety.

I have an extra tank and a local person who will come to my house and take any unwanted fish off my hands. So, I don't mind experimenting a little as long as the fish are relatively cheap.

I really like pentazona barbs as an alternative to tiger barbs. They look very similar but are quite peaceful. You could do a big school of pentazona barbs and a big school of a different barb such as Odessa, black ruby, checker, Denison, etc.

Last edited:
I actually happen to have a tank with a rainbow shark, 10 zebra danios, and a opaline gourami and they're all very peaceful and very happy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks again for all the replies. After thinking more about it, I've decided that I probably won't add a Gourami into the mix.

I'll probably stick to barbs and the fast Zebra Danios for the upper portion of the tank. It's kind of funny, but I've never really been a huge fan of barbs, and now I'm considering a tank full of them! They seem to be one of the better species to pair with the Rainbow Shark though.

Here are the fish I'm looking at now, I just need to find out if any of these barb species are too peaceful to co-exist with the Rainbow Shark.

Barbs:
Tiger Barb (Puntius tetrazona)
Checker Barb (Puntius oilgolepis)
Chinese Barb (Puntius semifasciolatus)
Odessa Barb (Puntius ticto)
Five Banded Barb(Puntius pentazona)
I really like the Chinese and Odessa barbs, and the Checker if they can coexist with the Rainbow Shark. Something like Zebra Danio x 12, Checker Barb x 8, Chinese Barb x 6, Odessa Barb x 6, Zebra Loach x 5, Rainbow Shark. What sounds better, this or the original setup with the Blue Gourami?

Also, is there a sex ratio I should shoot for with the barbs? I think I've heard 1 : 2 m : f thrown around, but I've also seen a few videos of what appear to be all male Odessa barb schools. Does it matter?

I have a 75 gallon planted tank, with 20 odessa and 20 black ruby barbs, 10 checked and 10 gold barbs. I love them most active fish i have ever had.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom