stocking suggestions for 50g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

defiance

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello guys ..
so i got my hands on 50g tank 80cm across 50cm deep and 55cm tall currently decorated with small driftwood pieces building a wall along the back, lots of cover and hiding spots. i went for silk plants as the tank is quite deep and pruning live plants could prove problematic. its currently stocked with 6 leopard danios and i plan on getting another 6 this weekend (didnt want to add a huge bioload after the initial cycle.) After that im thinking 5 corys or ottos, maybe few tetras. But im not sure what would make good feature fish in a community tank. The LFS suggests dwarf gourami but im unsure and would really like some more input

if you want ottos you should wait until the tanmk has been set up at least 6 months, you could get a pair of dwarf cichlids like rams or apistos if you wanted

i did look at dwarf cichlids, but i read that they can get very territorial would i need to change that tank lay out to provide a spot that they can call their own (adding a few rocks maybe) and would you suggest a male/female pair over a same sex pair

i did look at dwarf cichlids, but i read that they can get very territorial would i need to change that tank lay out to provide a spot that they can call their own (adding a few rocks maybe) and would you suggest a male/female pair over a same sex pair
there only really territorial when they spawn,and even then they just protect the eggs

well im off to the LFS this weekend i will see what dwarf cichlids they stock thanks for the advice.

Update..
I've finished the hardscape now ready for some new editions.
Currently in the tank I have
12 leopard danios
6 albino corys

The danios keep mostly to the top of the tank and the corys have the bottom. But the tank is tall and I'm looking to fill the middle.
I've been looking at tiger barbs but I'm open to any other suggestions. Still looking at getting a pair of bolivian rams too

Tiger barbs tend to be aggressive and the while the danios are fast enough to stay out of there way they would probably pick on your corys and if you pick a centerpiece fish with long fins like an angel or gourami they will likely tear there fins to shreds. If you want a couple rams they will get along with most schooling fish like tetras. 2 rams and a couple schools of tetras would fill out the middle nicely.

The barbs were a suggestion from a guy I work with he has some in with his angels and they get along fine. (there is always an exception to the rule and not all fish are the same.) that being said I don't think ill risk it I've become quite fond of my corys. So back to the original plan of rams and tetras. I found some black diamond neon tetras at the LFS the other day. Very pretty and an offshoot of the traditional neons I assume.
Back to the research for me..

Oh and the celebes rainbows are on my ever increasing list to check out

defiance said:
The barbs were a suggestion from a guy I work with he has some in with his angels and they get along fine. (there is always an exception to the rule and not all fish are the same.) that being said I don't think ill risk it I've become quite fond of my corys. So back to the original plan of rams and tetras. I found some black diamond neon tetras at the LFS the other day. Very pretty and an offshoot of the traditional neons I assume.
Back to the research for me..

Tigers not fin nipping is more the exception then the rule. The black diamonds are very interesting looking would look nice with rams

Back
Top Bottom