Stress Coat & Stress Zyme

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was reading the back of the Stress Coat bottle and there was a tip to use both Stress Coat and Stress Zyme together. Do I need to use both products together or can I just use Stress Coat by itself?

Why do you feel you need to use those products?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm using Stress Coat as a water conditioner and when I was cycling my tank I used Stress Zyme to boost the biological filter. On the back of the Stress Coat bottle there is a tip that says to use both Stress Coat and Stress Zyme together.

When you "were" cycling the tank, I assume it's already cycled?
I'm probably going outside of the question asked but personally from experience I feel the so called cycle boosters are somewhat misleading and don't really do much to help the cycle, if anything I feel it might disrupt the cycling process, one of the reasons I asked why did you want to use them at all.
If your tank is cycled, then you shouldn't have to use it and if it's not, my suggestion would be to let it cycle on its own.
Should you still feel you need to use these products, I would follow their instructions as you mentioned.
Good luck, keep us posted!

Stress Coat & Stress Zyme

I can only offer some limited experience here. Stress Zyme I've always thought to be adding more heterotrophic, sludge destroying bacteria and Quick Start the nitrifying bacteria. Neither have caused any tank issues.

I don't dose either regularly anymore. The tank has been established a number of years now.

The Stress Zyme I actually thought made a difference. In theory I see no reason why it should given hetro bacteria are in the tank already and reproduce very quickly. However one canister filter I have is semi-see through. I did notice on dosing the Stress Zyme that the amount of muck at the bottom of the canister filter was significantly reduced. Unfortunately I didn't test water chemistry at the same time.

All up though I can't see the need to dose these products on weekly water changes. If I do use them, it tends to be after a filter clean.

Back
Top Bottom