Stupid beginer mistake!Fish being Killed!Dont Know What to do!PLEASE HELP!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok I had petco test my water and they said it was an ammonia issue so they sold me a fluval ammonia remover to add to my filter. Also, he hooked me up with an angel breeder so I get five free Angels on Wednesday.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Petco doesn't know what they're doing. You gotta not keep talking their word on fish care. They want to sell you junk you don't need and so far, its working. Of COURSE they want you to keep buying more fish. Those will die, and you'll be back to buy more. Get what I'm saying? You need none of the stuff. Ammonia remover? Get your money back! Do not add anymore animals until your tank is cycled. You only need Prime and an API master kit. Period. Read the cycling/beginner articles under getting started. DAILY 50% water changes minimum for now with dechlorinated temp matched water until you get a proper test kit. I hate to see people get conned :(

Using a product to fix an ammonia issue is not typically a good solution. The ammonia binding in Prime will only last a few days, but if you have an issue you need to be doing more water changes anyways so you will just change it again in a few days. Problem solved.
I am still skeptical about your issues though, but I feel that we need more information.
You do need to be careful about the advice given by any store. Their priority is to sell, and it can be very easy to be led astray into buying things you don't need. Researching on your own is a great way to prevent as is asking on here. We are not trying to sell you anything. :) Some stores are great, whether locally owned or chain, and will give you good info. Others are not. It can take some time and experience to figure out which are which. I hope the angel breeder you find gives you some better advice, but they don't all. :/

there's a chance you just got some bad fish with diseases or parasites. I HATEEE buying fish at petco, but if I do on the very rare chance decide to buy something from there they go into a quarantine tank for a few weeks so I can watch them closely.

Keep testing your water parameters daily and do a water change if needed. when fish are sick the first thing you check is your water quality, when in doubt do a water change

Take that ammonia remover back and get a bottle of Prime like I said earlier. When you want to remove ammonia guess what...water change, this is a huge part of fish keeping

You will learn a lot more following the advice of people on here and local breeders.

Now that I think of it and did some reaserch, five angelfish is way overstocked for a 36 gallon with some cories and tetras. Instead, how many Angels would u all recomend In a 36 bowfront with 5 corie cats and 5 tetras. I could possibly forget about the tetras.

Now that I think of it and did some reaserch, five angelfish is way overstocked for a 36 gallon with some cories and tetras. Instead, how many Angels would u all recomend In a 36 bowfront with 5 corie cats and 5 tetras. I could possibly forget about the tetras.

......are you asking for future planning purposes? I advise against adding any more fish until the current issues are remedied. Have you been able to do a water change today? You might be able to find a test kit on Amazon for a bit cheaper than lfs btw.

I am talking about once my tank is stable. And yes I did a water change. Am investing on the kit online.

We told you on your other thread that 2 angels is about all you can handle. If you got 5, you need to rehome some after they pair off.
How did you acclimate your fish when you got them? Did you float the bag, or just drop them in?

My advice would be for you to SLOW down. Then learn and learn some more. Soundsl like you are going way to fast in populating your tanks. As was suggested, get the liquid test kit and find out exactly what the status is of your tanks.

How many tanks do you have? I count three (bowl, ten gallon and 36?)

what is in what exactly?

36 has snail and angel
there is a betta and a couple platy's somewhere as well (10 gallon? together?)

We told you on your other thread that 2 angels is about all you can handle. If you got 5, you need to rehome some after they pair off.
How did you acclimate your fish when you got them? Did you float the bag, or just drop them in?

I floated the bag slowly adding my tanks water to the bag over a period of around an hour.

My advice would be for you to SLOW down. Then learn and learn some more. Soundsl like you are going way to fast in populating your tanks. As was suggested, get the liquid test kit and find out exactly what the status is of your tanks.

How many tanks do you have? I count three (bowl, ten gallon and 36?)

what is in what exactly?

36 has snail and angel
there is a betta and a couple platy's somewhere as well (10 gallon? together?)

Have three

2.5 gallon standard filtered- empty

10 gallon standard- male betta and 2 platy(they have always ignored each other)

36 bowfront- angelfish and snail(moving snail to ten gallon)

Back
Top Bottom