stupid pump/airstone question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bambithegirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Guys,
apologise in advance for this question but I tried to connect my airstone to pump via 4 way valve but it appears to not be strong enough to run filter and airstone? If I disconnect the filter the airstone works. Will it help if I get a smaller airstone? I got the pump in a started kit but don't really want to buy a new pump just to get an airstone to work. However I wanna get some bubbles in there as Im only using a box/corner filter so I think it would be good.

Ideas?:ermm:

Hi Guys,
apologise in advance for this question but I tried to connect my airstone to pump via 4 way valve but it appears to not be strong enough to run filter and airstone? If I disconnect the filter the airstone works. Will it help if I get a smaller airstone? I got the pump in a started kit but don't really want to buy a new pump just to get an airstone to work. However I wanna get some bubbles in there as Im only using a box/corner filter so I think it would be good.

Ideas?:ermm:
tank size and what is the rating of air pump (ie, for 10g, 20g,30g)

Can you turn down the air-stone rate at all with a t-piece valve or such? Or even just try pinching the tubing running to the air-stone to see if doable.

Shorter and/or stiffer tubing may help I've read.

No Tank Girl, I think its quite an old school setup. I got it as part of a kit, and before I completely disregard it I wanna try and give it a go. The box/corner filter is powered by the air pump

Derr! Sorry, missed that but in your first post. Yeah, that's pretty old school. You'll need a much stronger air pump then. For the money you'd spend, you'd be better off just buying a better filter.

Derr! Sorry, missed that but in your first post. Yeah, that's pretty old school. You'll need a much stronger air pump then. For the money you'd spend, you'd be better off just buying a better filter.

+1 agree .....u need a stronger air pump

I agree with tank girls second option. That is a very old filter and you'd be better off buying a new filter

Yes I think I will have to do that at some point. Can I use my noodles and filter wool though, as I am busy cycling my tank now and would hate to have a setback.

Thanks Masha, and since youre in SA too, can you recommend an affordable filter that takes up minimal space (my tank is only 30L) that is affordable and in which I can use the noodles and filter wool in my current filter?

I would recommend an Aquaclear Hang On Back filter. They are available at most of our shops in a variety of sizes. Not the cheapest, but very good quality. Easy to maintain. The great thing about them is that they allow you to put whatever filter media you like in them. You can take out the media they come with, and put in your own.

I would think you would use either an Aquaclear 20 or Aquaclear 30. If you are considering getting a larger tank some time in the future, a 30 might make sense as it will be large enough for a 90 litre, for example. They have an adjustable flow control so you can turn them up or down to suit your tank.

I agree with Masha. If you are able to get an aquaclear, do. They are very much worth the price. And as she said, get the larger if you can. Allows you to upgrade down the road and also is adjustable so you don't create a whirlpool in your smaller tank.

Back
Top Bottom