Substrate for New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't do it that way. Effectively all the bacteria are in your filter, any bacteria that did come in with this substrate is insignificant. Taking it out in sections only adds to the work. If the tank isn't cycled it isn't cycled, what little bacteria may have come in on some substrate won't make the difference. Get the substrate right before you start stocking.

Sorry, didn't realize there were already fish in the tank. In that case leave things be until a few weeks after cycling then swap it all out at once.

That stocking discussion did get a little wild but it's important. That's a lot of fish, and too few of some that need large groups.

If someone didn't already suggest it, google aquadvisor and check your stocking in it. Otos are very delicate and I tend to have losses when I have fewer than 4, especially with lots of others around.

Some people "over" stock and just clean more (all fish stores, basically) but that's for larger tanks and more experience. A 10 can go very badly very quickly. I started with a heavily stocked 29 and have had zero issues, but struggled to keep 4 small fish in a 10 even with massive water changes.

The bacteria in the substrate are significant. I second not changing it. I also suggest not getting cories in a tank that small.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom