substrate mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lumpo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey gang.
recently decided to go for my first planted tank... I originally had seachem fluorite with a layer of pool filter sand on top... now one thing lead to another and its all mixed up now. super, have more kids they said.

so... from what I have searched out on the internet, its not really that big of a problem? can anyone confirm this?

I dont mind having to remove it all and restart, but I also thought maybe if I also mixed in some fluval bio stratum it would probably work just fine?

any advice would be appreciated, I have no problem restarting that tank from the ground up. it is currently only the substrate, some lava rocks, and a piece of drift wood. its got a filter and heater going, but no plants, no fish.

thanks!

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you dont dislike the appearance.

Why do you want to mix in bio stratum?

the appearance is secondary to me at this stage, im just trying to grow some plants!

i figured since the mix right now is 50/50 sand and flourite, maybe a bit more sand if anything. i figured i could dump something else with a bit more nutrients to make up for the mix. my first batch of plants will be root feeders opposed to column.

thank you!

Most aquatic plants do just fine in ordinary gravel or sand. Unless you are doing a high tech set up with high demand plants, that require lots of nutrients, high powered lighting and injected CO2, a planted substrate isnt needed.

okay cool. yeah, low tech for now. only low light root feeders.
thanks a lot, i posted this elsewhere too and i am much more confident now. :)

Back
Top Bottom