Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SNAKEMANVET

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 120 lbs of of sand that came from my reef setup,could I use this over flourite.At what depth should the flourite be and sand.The sand has been washed several times and is drying out.

Is this aragonite sand? If so, it'll most likely alter your pH. My biggest problem with layering substrate is that it tends to get all mixed up and looks bad IMO when it gets to that point.

Aragonite will raise your pH.

Are you building a planted tank? If not, there are other cheaper options than Flourite. If you're going with live plants, 3" of Flourite would be great.

I am going for the planted tank,it is filled up and running now,just sand and 2 pieces of dw and a couple of rocks.I can remove sand.I have the flourite ordered,I figured 10 bags should be enough.

I was just informed that turface mvp which is sold at some john deere stores is good substrate for planted aquariums.Does anyone have any experiance with it.

I've seen somebody recommend it here before... maybe it was mgamer? Anyways, seems like I remember them saying it was available at tractor supply too?

I've also heard good things about Turface. It's supposed to have good ion exchange, meaning it sucks in fertilizers, making them accessible to the roots. Turface is supposed to be easy to stir up though. You could always cap it with a layer of Flourite.

I found turface-all sport which is the same thing as turface mvp.I may need some gravel to hold in place,my return pump is causing a current in the tank,or cut the flow back alittle.

Back
Top Bottom