Success in cycling starting...I think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kjwcpm

Aquarium Advice Regular
I left for a four day business trip at the beginning of the week. Readings then were Ammonia = 4, Nitrites = 0 and Nitrates = 0.

Returned this morning to find Ammonia = 0 (wahoo!). However, I also found both Nitrites and Nitrates at 0 as well. Maybe in the course of four days the full conversion cycle took place?

I've bumped it back up to 1ppm of ammonia today and we'll see what gets processed.

A question - I need to leave for vacation next week and will not be able to manage daily testing and tracking. While we've got neighbors to take care of the pets, I'm not sure I want someone unfamiliar with fishless cycling trying to add ammonia during the week. Is there a threat of the cycle stalling due to lack of "refeeding" ammonia? Any suggestions on how best to prep the tank for the week?

I'm hopeful things are getting closer and I may be able to look at final stage (massive PWC and retest) and stocking after we get back from our holidays.

I've never heard of a 4 day cycle lol Did you use any old filters from another aquarium to see this one?

What did you use to dose the ammonia initially? I'm guessing pure ammonia since you said you redosed to 1. If the tank was cycled you would theoretically have nitrates, but I doubt it happened in 4 days. Let us know what happens after you redose.

I've never heard of a 4 day cycle lol Did you use any old filters from another aquarium to see this one?

What did you use to dose the ammonia initially? I'm guessing pure ammonia since you said you redosed to 1. If the tank was cycled you would theoretically have nitrates, but I doubt it happened in 4 days. Let us know what happens after you redose.

I should clarify here. The tank sat at 4ppm for about a week, not changing at all. This is week two now. So it took about 11 total days to go down to zero.

I did manage to get some seeding media from my LFS to place in the filter.

Ammonia dosing was Ace pure ammonia.

As I said, I had left on business for about four days. Apparently, the cycling process started while I was way, proving a watched pot never boils. Well, hmmm, probably not the best analogy for fish safety is it? :lol:

So here's today's overnight returns:

Ph: 8.6 (I'll get to that in a minute)
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: .25ppm
Nitrates: 0

I'm guessing the cycling process is starting but just moving at a slow pace.

Now as far as the Ph, what do I do to get that down to a better level?

And my question still remains about what to do while we're away for vacation. We have a neighbor taking care of our other pets. But I'm not sure I want a non-aquarist messing with dosing Ammonia in the tank. Should I let it go hoping the bacteria can hang in there? Would it help to drop in a slow release feeding block to keep the nutrients in the tank in good shape?

I should clarify here. The tank sat at 4ppm for about a week, not changing at all. This is week two now. So it took about 11 total days to go down to zero.

I did manage to get some seeding media from my LFS to place in the filter.

Ammonia dosing was Ace pure ammonia.

As I said, I had left on business for about four days. Apparently, the cycling process started while I was way, proving a watched pot never boils. Well, hmmm, probably not the best analogy for fish safety is it? :lol:

So here's today's overnight returns:

Ph: 8.6 (I'll get to that in a minute)
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: .25ppm
Nitrates: 0

I'm guessing the cycling process is starting but just moving at a slow pace.

Now as far as the Ph, what do I do to get that down to a better level?

And my question still remains about what to do while we're away for vacation. We have a neighbor taking care of our other pets. But I'm not sure I want a non-aquarist messing with dosing Ammonia in the tank. Should I let it go hoping the bacteria can hang in there? Would it help to drop in a slow release feeding block to keep the nutrients in the tank in good shape?

Thanks for the clarification. The seeded material must have helped a lot if your ammonia is dropping. I would redose to higher than 1 though, you want to make sure you grow a good bacteria colony. Now that your showing nitrites I think yes the cycle is progressing nicely, into the 2nd stage (nitrite phase).

Your PH is probably OK, might be on the high side but in general you don't want to mess with it. Let Eco or someone more familiar with that chime in though and tell you whether it's too high.

As for your vacation...hm....you definitely want something in there that's going to be releasing ammonia. The good thing about pure ammonia is that its controlled and easy to measure. I'm not sure how much ammonia fish food releases or how fast it decays. You could try putting a raw shrimp into a clean stocking or mesh bag and leave that in there, that might be a better option than the fish food, but again let someone else verify.

Thanks librarygirl :)

BTW, I've found a medical syringe (found in most grocery and pharmacy stores) makes for a great ammonia dosing tool during fishless cycling. The one I picked up for about $3 had the syringe and a plastic tube about 3" long. This way, I can push out the air, then draw in the ammonia from the bottle without getting my hands close to the liquid. I gentle push of the syringe plunger will give you a nice, slow, even series of drops. You can count them easily and then know how many make up each level of ammonia.

I'm sure eyedroppers work well, but I'm finding this quite easy to do.

I did dose up the ammonia - back up to between 3 and 4ppm. We'll see how they do with that....

Looking good this evening. Decided to do a check at about 12 hours. Came up with:

Ammonia: 2ppm (down from 4ppm earlier)
Nitrites: 1ppm
Nitrates: 2.5ppm (between 0 and 5ppm, def NOT bright yellow)

Hoping the bio filter can handle our vacation, and will be solid when we get back!

Looking good this evening. Decided to do a check at about 12 hours. Came up with:

Ammonia: 2ppm (down from 4ppm earlier)
Nitrites: 1ppm
Nitrates: 2.5ppm (between 0 and 5ppm, def NOT bright yellow)

Hoping the bio filter can handle our vacation, and will be solid when we get back!

How long are you going away for? Have you decided how/if you're going to keep ammonia in there?

How long are you going away for? Have you decided how/if you're going to keep ammonia in there?

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective), we'll be away for a full week. I'm thinking your earlier suggestion of some netted shrimp is at least one way to help out.

I'm also figuring my worst case scenario is everything stalling out, and having to start over when I get back. If that's what happens, it's what happens. I'll load the tank up on ammonia just before we leave and hope for the best. If it doesn't work, I'll just be a bit more delayed in being ready to stock the tank...

Patience IS a virtue....right????

Back
Top Bottom