Sudden Bacteria Bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

protokix22

Aquarium Advice Regular
After reading around for quite awhile, I've come to the conclusion I'm going through a serious bacteria bloom. The water became extremely couldy last night in a manner of 1 or 2 hours. My fish all began to breath very heavily, and I immediately did a 50% change (on a 60 gallon tank I with a sump and a cannister). I triple checked all my parameters, and nothign was wrong. Ammonia was 0, Nitrite was 0, Nitrate's in the 20-30 range.

I had just added a hi-fin cardinal along with 3 snails, 6 hermit crabs, and a chocolate starfish. In the tank beforehand were two small ocellaris clownfish. I did the water change, checked the levels, and everything was fine. I was told by the guy who helped set up my tank that it would be good to put Nutrafin "cycle" in whenever I added new fish, so I did that.

Also, when the trouble started, I put my small aerater in the sump to hopefully add some oxygen. Any suggestions on what to do next?

This happened to me recently and I put my protien skimmer back on and got it running and problem solved

Yeah, I actually was told by the same guy that set up my tank not to get a protein skimmer, but I just ordered one yesterday because between this current issue, and the fact that everyone else tells me I need one, I think it's about time. The water has cleared up a decent amount, and the fish aren't breathing as heavily. It's still cloudy though, but I have my aerater running non-stop. I can't get my hifin cardinalfish to eat though, I hope he's not too stressed out.

What are dudes credentials?

I looked up this nutrafin cycle product and though I am by no means and expert it isn't something I would have used to cycle or add my cycle. I believe a fishless cycle is the most humane and secondly most reliable way to get ur bacteria up to its correct lvls. Then add fish slowly at no more than two a month.

You don't need a protein skimmer, but u need something to removed your extra organics from the water. Also what is in ur sump? U may be able to remove the filter if u have a fuge in there

With a 60g tank and a sump I would definately get a skimmer rated at at least 100g,When you buy fish you need to QT them if you can,if not feed them with food dipped in garlic.

Thanks guys. I just ordered a protein skimmer, it should be here today hopefully. And the water is completely fine now. I didn't lose any fish, thank god. The tank seems to be doing just fine now. And David, I don't have a QT tank, so thanks for the advice about garlic. Now does that help with stress and possible illnesses?

It has been said to boost the fish's immune system. I don't know of its documented but I do it.

Also other research states it is particularly effective with the dreaded ich. Supposedly the parasite just drops right off the fish after sufficient treatment

Back
Top Bottom