Sudden increase!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crs1945

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok I did a 33% water change this past Sat. (3/17 ), 2 days before that my parameters were 0/0/10. 5 days after the water change parameters are 0/5/20. Wife did a 10% H2o change. Parameters after that 0/1/20.
I intend to do another change but my question is Why the sudden jump in Nitrites with a 0 NH3 and plenty of NO2 bacteria ( as shown by the 20ppm). We did have to put a fish down last night because of Dropsy. I checked the tank for dead fish or dead vegetation and none found! Any ideas?:fish1:

I have tw0 HOB's and I alternate which filter I rinse in tank water. The tank is 5 months old and yes it was fully cycled. I use API test kits. I also test my 5 gal tank today and got a normal nitrite level so the kit is fine>

What are you using for dechlorinator? Are you testing within 24 hours of adding the dechlorinator?

Have well water, no CL.! Besides we let the water sit
for 24Hrs aqnd I usually toss in some Prime just for the heck of it.

Sudden Increase

Ok I did a 33% water change this past Sat. (3/17 ), 2 days before that my parameters were 0/0/10. 5 days after the water change parameters are 0/5/20. Wife did a 10% H2o change. Parameters after that 0/1/20.
I intend to do another change but my question is Why the sudden jump in Nitrites with a 0 NH3 and plenty of NO2 bacteria ( as shown by the 20ppm). We did have to put a fish down last night because of Dropsy. I checked the tank for dead fish or dead vegetation and none found! Any ideas?:fish1:

Hello crs...

Whatever the problem with the tank, beginning an aggressive water change routine will more than likely fix the problem. Your small water changes aren't going to help much. You need to be flushing a lot of pure, treated water through the tank every week and that means removing and replacing a minimum of half the water.

I haven't been in the hobby but a few years, but it didn't take me long to find out the key to a successful aquarium is large, weekly water changes.

B

Yes. No Problems.We have not had any problems with this tank over the last 5-6 months with the same H2O. I doubt very much if it has to do with the actual water itself!

Back
Top Bottom