Summer heat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RayRay customs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Our A/C went out it took 2 weeks for parts.
The house got 95 degrees and my tanks got well over 80degrees, I had fans on the tanks so the fish lived but how would you keep the temp down if say the power was out for 2 weeks?

Its difficult to keep tank temperature down when the room is hot when power is on. Without power, i would say its impossible. All of the things like turning the lights off, running fans over the surface are irrelevant when you have no power.

So do what you can to keep the room cooler. Cover windows with blinds and curtains during the hottest parts of the day with the windows closed so you keep the heat on the outside. Open windows at night so the room can cool down when the temperature drops.

Been years since i designed a building required to naturally cool. Buildings with a high thermal mass will heat up slower and dissipate the heat at night. So masonry buildings (high density materials) will be cooler than timber frame buildings (low density materials) when its warm outside.

Dont resort to changing water to bring temperature down. Maintaining a consistent temperature (even though high) will be better than having it swing about by changing water. You may want to manually turn over water at the surface to keep it oxygenated. There are battery powered air stones as well.

Last edited:
Ya I have the battery air pumps for all my tanks
I'm in Kansas and with thunder storms and tornadoes you never know when your power might go out lol
It's easier to keep a tank warm in the winter than to keep it getting hot for sure
My was built in the 70's so not very well insulated

Most fish can tolerate 86F for a few weeks so it's not normally an issue as long as the temperature goes up slowly over a period of time (month or so). My tanks would sit on 86-90F all summer and the fish were fine. Have lots of aeration to keep the oxygen levels up. Don't feed too much in hot weather, and do big regular water changes and gravel clean the substrate to keep the tank clean. Keeping the filter clean also helps.

As Aiken mentioned, don't try to drop the temperature during the day by adding bottles of frozen water or doing water changes with cold water. A stable temperature is much better for the fish than a fluctuating temperature.

We used to open the house up at night and let it cool down. Then close it up in the morning to keep the heat out. Closing windows and curtains when it's warmer out than in. Putting up some weather stripping around door frames. Only use electrical appliances you actually need to have on (fridge, life support systems, etc). If you're really concerned, get a portable room airconditioner and use that in the fish room. A lot of people in the UK are looking into these types of things now they are having hot weather, and they had a 46C (well over 100F) day I think it was a few months back.

-----------------

During a power outage you can use battery operated air pumps. These come in a number of sizes and normally use a C or D size battery. Some have 1 outlet, others have 2 outlets. The bigger pumps are usually better. If you use a battery operated air pump, use a multi coloured plastic airstone or no airsotne on it so there is less back pressure on the pump. This will produce more aeration and the battery will last longer. Check eBay and ask at your local pet shop for battery operated air pumps.

You can buy a power inverter from any auto shop (places that sell car accessories). They come in a range of wattages and get plugged into a car's cigarette lighter or wired directly to the car battery. Smaller units get plugged into a cigarette lighter. A 150 watt power inverter will be heaps to run a couple of aquarium air pumps. The power inverter has a normal power socket in one end to plug electrical appliances into. You connect an extension cord to the power inverter and run it into the house. Plug the normal aquarium air pump into the extension cord. Turn the power inverter on and you have air.

You can also have a deep cycle car battery in the house and wire the power inverter directly to that. Then plug the air pump into the power inverter.

Nice

I do have battery air pumps for all my tanks and a couple extra.
The inverter idea is a good one, thank you
Like I said I never thought much about it until the a/c quit and it took so long to get parts.
Then I got to thinking about the weather in Kansas, tornadoes and all.
What should I do if the power was out several days?
I'd feel horrible if I could have done something and didn't
I've sold some tanks and rehomed most of my fish, I became disabled and maintenance was too much and the fish were going to suffer.
I'm thinking about doing shrimp tanks
so the maintenance is less and was wondering about the temps for them also?

If the power is going to be off for any length of time, don't feed the fish until the power comes back on. Without a filter to keep the water clean, or light for plants to photosynthesise and use nutrients, any food will quickly produce ammonia that will kill the fish. Healthy adult fish can go for weeks or even months without food and a few days without food is not going to affect them at all (unless they are babies).

If you know there is going to be a power outage, do a big water change and gravel clean the day before, or even a few hours before. This means the aquarium will be cleaner with less rotting gunk in it and fewer bad bacteria to consume the oxygen in the water.

Most of the time you don't get any notification of a power outage and you wake up to no power.

Battery air pumps can keep oxygen levels high. They can also be used to run air operated filters (sponge, box or undergravel filters).

If you have power filters, clean the filter media in a bucket of aquarium water and then put the media in the aquarium. There will be more oxygen in the aquarium water and this will keep the beneficial filter bacteria alive for longer. If you have a battery powered air pump pushing air into the tank, it will keep the filter bacteria alive until the power comes back on. At which time you can reasemble the filter and get it going again.

If the power is only going to be off for a few hours and you have external power filters, you can do the following.
For HOB (hang on back) style power filters, you can take a bucket of tank water and pour it into the top of the filter and let the water flow through the filter and back into the tank. Do this once or twice an hour and the bacteria will be fine. This will also aerate the aquarium water a bit as the water overflows back into the tank.

For an external canister filter, take the outlet (return) hose from the aquarium and put it in a clean fish bucket. Let the bucket fill with water and then put the outlet hose back in the tank. The bucket of water that came out of the filter can be poured back into the aquarium. Doing this once or twice an hour will keep fresh oxygenated water flowing through the filter and keep the beneficial filter bacteria alive.

If filters are cleaned regularly (at least once a month for any established filters), there will be less gunk in them and there will be more oxygen for the good bacteria.

If you have regular power failures, then think about doing 50% water changes every couple of days. This will ensure the aquarium is kept nice and clean and if there is a power outage, the tank will be cleaner and the fish should be able to survive longer without power.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

-------------------

I used to have some 3 inch diameter pvc pipe that ran along the ground next to the wall in my fish room. It had a couple of pipes that stood up about a foot and I used a gravel cleaner to drain water from the tanks into the pvc pipe. The water then flowed outside onto the lawn.

I had triple tier stands and filled the top aquariums with tap water via a hose. (The lower tanks had fish in). I let the water aerate and dechlorinate until I did water changes. Then drained water from the top tanks into the lower tanks with a hose that had a tap on it.

There was minimal effort from me and I didn't have to bend down or drag hoses around. This helped a lot when I was recovering from a car accident. Perhaps you could do something similar so you can enjoy the fish more and not have to do as much strenuous movement. The initial outlay would be a bit more but the end result makes it really easy to do water changes.

Love it I've learned a lot for it being my first time on a fourm
I will definitely be here often
Thank you again for the great advice!!!

My power has never gone out long enough to affect the tanks. I do have an inverter. If i needed to cool my tanks I’d buy bags of ice & section them into quart or gallon baggies. I keep my freezer stocked with frozen water bottles to cool down my axotles tank in the summer. I don’t let them go much above 60F. Were the freezer to fail, I’d buy bags of ice. Additionally, the blinds are drawn & I have cardboard or foam panels on some windows by the tank. These 1 ft by 6 ft styrofoam panels are inexpensive at home improvement stores.

Thank you

Thanks for the reply and info.
We don't loose power a lot and the a/c unit going out was unexpected and then the parts took 2 weeks to come in
I just started thinking about IF we lost power for 2 weeks how would I cool the tanks?
I've gotten several good ideas from members y'all are great!!!
Thanks again

:welcome:You’re most welcome!

EDIT

There’s another simple thing you could do. My apologies if this was already mentioned. You could incrementally replace too warm water with cooler conditioned water.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t get too worried over it really. They’re fish, in the wild they don’t have the luxury of a perfectly maintained water temperature. I think the biggest concern would be sudden changes as with anything, they don’t tolerate that so well.

I don’t have a/c because our climate doesn’t usually justify having it. But for a couple months in the summer my tanks will hover in the mid 80s. I’m more concerned about losing heat in the winter!

Yeah, in the wild it is never steady at 78 degrees f. Lets no over think this.

it is only wide temp variances from our 78 standard that can kill our fish

Back
Top Bottom