Sump salt creep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afilter

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have never run a sump before, but this weekend I am gettin a new 90g with built in overflow and stating one. Because cost is an issue my initial plan is to use some sort of plastic tub (As large as will fit) until I can fashion a DIY sump/fuge.

Many of the pics I have seen from people that go this route show the tub open. I am wondering would there be a benifit or any downsides to putting a lid on it with slots cut out for hoses and hardware?

I would think the exposed tub would lend to splashing and salt creep under the stand not to mention more water evaportation.

Thoughts?

No need for a lid if the return hose terminates under the water level in the sump as it should anyway. I did had to add a sheet of folded up poly fiber to my sump to stop the skimmer return from splashing water.

Thanks, I had to change plans yesterday. I checked it out and realized that there was no way I was going to fit a 30g Tnak for planned Sump/fuge in the stand I was purchasing without putting it in at time of set up.

So, last night one 30g tank and 5 sheets of cut glass later I know have a sump that will be ready for this weekend. SO far about a $73 investment. Not bad compared to the $300+ prebuilt models I priced that do not include a fuge.

Here is the design I used off the DIY forum:

http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=53046

Mine looks exact except 30 gal and I still need to clean up the extra silicon. Very easy though.

I think I will use bio balls and a filter pad in the first chamber held in place with egg crate cage insteaqd of rubble.

I also plan to fasshion a lid using plexiglass over the fuge to install a light.

Back
Top Bottom