Sun Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ximat

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im interested in adding a Sun Coral (Tubastrea faulkneri) to my tank. My local LFS refuses to order it for me because they insist it will die. Is this true? Should they be left out of the home aquarium? I've noticed several reefers on here have them in their tank, how do you feed each specific polyp without the theifs stealing all the food?

Any insight would be great!

I don't agree with your lfs. They are hardy coral. They just require a dedicated person to take care of them. As mentioned, you could feed with a turkey baster, or you could even use tongs to feed each one. I've read about people making feeding hats for them using a 2L bottle, cut in half. Not really sure how that works though. My guess is, you cut the top off too and use a baster down through the opening to feed it. This keeps everyone away til the coral has time to eat. Also, feeding at night when they are opened up and the fish are sleeping may help too, instead of encouraging them to open during the day for feeding.

I have a very nice orange sun coral. It is very hardy and just requires the occassional target feeding. Easy to keep if you are dedicated to feeding it.

I also feed my 2-3x per week. It does wonderfully. It is just beautiful. I ordered mine from LiveAquaria and got a gorgeous specimen. I would do that again in a heartbeat. I usually feed mine krill shredded pretty fine mixed with liquid life. I use a turkey baster and just blow the food over it. I do that at the same time that I'm feeding my tank and time things so that the fish are preoccupied with food they prefer to krill while I'm feeding the sun. Even the shrimp don't usually bother with it. I've alsp placed it into a cave type setting which reduces the amount the other fish can pick on it.

Go for it. As long as you're willing to take the time to feed it.

I just called a not so local LFS and they have one about 3" for $50 Im gunna go look at it on tuesday. (they are closed on mondays)

So I've gathered i need to feed 2-3 times a week. I know they need to be in low light.

Should I feed Krill or Mysis? The krill I have is rather large. When I feed should i turn off the powerheads so there is low current arround the polyps so they can catch the food?

They are hardy if you have the time to take care of them. Check out my gallery for a pic of mine. You got some good advice from the folks here. Have a good day

sun corals are not tough per-say, they just require a different set of care than other corals. Since they are non-symbotic they dont care for bright light and need a near vertical placement to keep debris off of them. In addition to that they need daily or several times weekly feedings with photoplaynkton or something similar.

Back
Top Bottom