Surface scum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lorddaftwager

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So after about two weeks of cycling my planted tank, there is a scum that has formed on the water surface. I've researched causes and solutions and was wondering about investing in a surface skimmer. My current filter is an internal corner filter with it's intake near the bottom of the tank and a spray bar.
Anybody come across an internal filter that integrates a surface skimmer? I'm not really ready to upgrade to a canister, (limited space) though I'd be open to a hob if it had an included skimmer. I saw the eheim 350 skimmer, and it looks effective, but I have a small tank (10 gal) that's filled already with equipment and scaping stuff.

Suggestions? Directions? Rebukes? Cheers.

So after about two weeks of cycling my planted tank, there is a scum that has formed on the water surface. I've researched causes and solutions and was wondering about investing in a surface skimmer. My current filter is an internal corner filter with it's intake near the bottom of the tank and a spray bar.
Anybody come across an internal filter that integrates a surface skimmer? I'm not really ready to upgrade to a canister, (limited space) though I'd be open to a hob if it had an included skimmer. I saw the eheim 350 skimmer, and it looks effective, but I have a small tank (10 gal) that's filled already with equipment and scaping stuff.

Suggestions? Directions? Rebukes? Cheers.

Can u DIY the intake to bring it up to below the surface so it draws the surface water in? May be able to do this with some tubing if u can find an attachment to cover the impella? Depends on how the filter is set up I guess?

Can u DIY the intake to bring it up to below the surface so it draws the surface water in? May be able to do this with some tubing if u can find an attachment to cover the impella? Depends on how the filter is set up I guess?

Hmm, I'll have to take a look. Good idea though. Thanks bert.

Hmm, I'll have to take a look. Good idea though. Thanks bert.

If it has a stem intake like canisters u can drill a hole in the side a little bit smaller than a a length of air hose and pull the air hose through with pliers. Then just cable tie it up the side of the filter and leave it half an inch under the surface. Could be enough to draw abit in and chew it up ;)

I usually try to find the cause. Could just be protein. Not a fan of internal filters except in rare set ups.

Skimmers work. If you had a canister you could just add an attachment. Paper towel can sometimes be used. Then see if it comes back. Can use h2o2 as well

Back
Top Bottom