Swim Bladder Disease: Contagious?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi. I have a sick johanni cichlid currently living in my 10 gal qt tank, he's had swim bladder for almost 4 weeks now. I've tried the peas, he's not having any of it. LOL

My big question I guess is if it's not contagious can I put one of my tiny Kenyis' or maybe the johanni female in with him? I know the outcome on him isnt good but he seems so lonely.....I've even yanked out my holey stone from the big tank for him and bought him a background too.

Thye get cichlid round pellets for the bigger ones and sinking crumblers for the smaller guys. I've recently started to give them some spirulina flakes as a treat.

ive never fed them anything live or bloodworms or anything like that.

Hmmm... unless you're feeding them some cheap food from petsmart or walmart, you shouldn't have any issues. If it is swimbladder, there's really not much more you can do. I don't know that I'd put another fish in with it, especially not in such a small tank. Just make it comfortable (as in lots of hiding places, daily water changes, etc), as stress will only prolong its recovery.

I feed them hikari for now. I dont buy much aquarium stuff at walmart. lol

I know he prob won't get better he just breaks my heart all alone. And i have an outcast small kenyi in my big tank that could use the chance to grow and have a firend too.

IMO, having another fish in such a small tank would only make matters worse. I see what you're saying about being all along, but I think it would be best for him to be alone. That's just my opinion though, if you want to do it, go for it, just be prepared to take the kenyi out if it starts causing trouble.

Which Hikari food are you feeding?

I wouldn't add anything to the QT, water quality would become a huge issue. That is one of the biggest issues with QTs, if you don't keep them at least as good as the DT there is no point in using them.

Part of my morning regimen is testing all my tanks. I spend an enormous amount of time with each one. I'm also running an aq30 on the 10 so the filter should be adequate for an additional inch fish. The poor kenyi is always in the big tank in the upper corner. I'm afraid one day he is gonna get harassed. I even cycled my qt tank too. no ammon, nitrite and a tinge of nitrates.

I'm feeding hikari cichlid gold in the bag. And wardley sinking crumblers. (cheap i know but small enuf for the fish i have )

Throw out the Wardley. Buy some New Life Spectrum Thera+A, even if you have to get it online. It is the best food by far IME and it comes in aany size you could possibly need. If you are going to do Hikari the best one would be Cichlid Excel, it is made for more herbivorous fish. The gold is made for more carnivorous fish and will cause bloat, which may be what happened.

I was planning on going new spectrum when i finished up the food I have. i've read and heard good things about it.
I have barely any balls left and a whole jar of the crumblers.

So if it is malawi bloat what then? Its been at least 3 weeks.

Switch now, bad nutrition is not worth saving a buck. If it is bloat it is even more vital that you get a better food immediately.

hehe I'm shopping for it online right now! I have enough food for a few days, I'm a notorious underfeeder.

Is there a link for bloat? And can he get better? i know swim bladder is not curable but what about bloat?

Well their next meal will be the new stuff. I'll bite the bulet and go to the LFS that I hate but has it.

What is the treatment for bloat? And the prognosis? Also, wouldn't he have died already if it was bloat?

Sorry for all the questions but this is my 2nd favorite fish and I wannna do whatever i can for him.

Honestly I have never had to deal with it in any of my fish. IME with almost any issues water changes (water quality) and food are the primary things that need to be maintained. Once you get the new food you should be on a better track. As far as I know that is all you can do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom