Switching to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieMomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
My poor Corys keep loosing their barbells on the rough gravel in my tank. I need to switch to sand but don't want to cause a mini-cycle. If I slowly remove some gravel at every water change will that probably prevent one? Anyone do a bunch of gravel at once and NOT cause a cycle?

I just moved mine into a bare bottom tank. Once their barbels grow back, I am going to add some pool filter sand. I would say switching part of the substrate gradually sounds like a good plan although I have not tried it myself.

I CHANGED ALL MY GRAVEL I ONE SHOT WITH MY UPGRADE NO PROBLEMS AT ALL...WHAT I DID WAS GOT A FEW MEDIA BAGS AND FILLED THEM WITH THE OLD GRAVEL AND PUT THEM IN THE TANK OUT OF SITE TO GET THAT BB GOING KEPT THE BAGS IN THERE FOR ABOUT A WEEK. NO ISSUES TO THIS DAY ITS BEEN OVER 2 MONTHS.MY BOTTOM DWELLERS LOVE THE SAND NEVER GOING BACK TO GRAVEL...GOOD LUCK(y)

Just use the same filter, whatever filter your using should house most of the good bacteria. Sand is much cleaner and yes good for cories, since sand does not allow food to get trapped and rot. Take the tank down and clean it good, and keep your filter and use it in the new setup. Poof, no cycle.

+1 thats the way i did it with no problems plus gravel vac is not the same you skim over the sand to get any loose matters makes life easy...lol

Spent a few hours emptying, washing out (with just water) and re-doing the tank with sand. My gravel was really gross when I took it all out (it was a thick layer). Put in black sand and the remaining Cories are sooo happy now.

New tank with resting albino Cories

Attachments

• image-3101405157.jpg
    image-3101405157.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 64
yup, looks nice! yeah your filter should contain %75 of your bacteria so you shouldn't have a problem!!

Just want to say I had no idea my angels, in particular, produced so much waste. It's so easy to see and clean when on black sand.

Back
Top Bottom