t5 lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gregory12

Aquarium Advice Newbie
okay i just brought 2 new 4x24w ballast. im getting 4 12000k ho bulbs and just wanted to no if i should get the 4 more 12000k ho bulba or 4 more true actnicho bulbs.
also if aneone knows if this is enough lightingfor a 29 gallon. also what kind of corals will theys suport.
thank you

I dont think that`s a T5HO system is it. Do they have individual reflectors? It might be OK for a 29 gallon tank. BTW welcome aboard.

T5 lighting is all about the reflector. A highly polished parabolic reflector can put 90+% of the light output down into the tank. Without that you're no better off than a standard bulb (well there are degrees of reflection for lesser designs).
I believe actinic lighitng is 50k. It depends on what look you want in the tank. If you plan on having sps corals you should go with a combination of bulbs including tru actinic (420nm). There are many different types of bulbs to choose from in T% other than just 10k, 12k, 14k, etc.

I had 10k 150w MH with 96w PC true actincs. I just switched to LED and I'm set at 14k. It took a few days, but I like the look a lot better now. Slightly bluer than what I had.

So decide on what you want in the tank and the color you want to see. Take a look at some store displays and ask what bubls they have in their T5 fixtures.

ya i have all the stuff for it, i have a glass reflector for it idk if that is good or not. thanks for the info tho

ya i have all the stuff for it, i have a glass reflector for it idk if that is good or not. thanks for the info tho

im not shur because i have some mirrored glass but i have red some bad things about this. can somone tell me the best reflector. i am not sher about the white paint. i was thinking aluminum

Back
Top Bottom