T8 18 watt 8,000K /20 gal. Plants or no?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

librarygirl

Look It Up
Hi everyone,

I have a 20 gal high freshwater tank. I'm interested in trying some low-light, low-maintenance plants, but I've read conflicting information on whether my lighting will support them (or a specific T8 bulb that I could use). I tried the T5 dual lighting fixtures but I have light sensitivity (migraines) and they are too bright for me, unfortunately. So all I have is a T8 single bulb hood. I currently have the Full Spectrum Daylight, 18 watt, 8,000 bulb.

I'm just looking at some various types of Anubias, Java Fern, Baby Tears.

Any thoughts, or am I doomed to silk plants? lol

:thanks:

you'll never really know till you try. Most plants, even in low light, will grow well with some DiY Co2. I think that bulb would work for some anubias and java fern. If you're thinking of dwarf baby tears, then no, they're high light required. If you plant the anubias up high, on some drift wood, it would get more light than if you plan to have it sitting on the substrate.

you'll never really know till you try. Most plants, even in low light, will grow well with some DiY Co2. I think that bulb would work for some anubias and java fern. If you're thinking of dwarf baby tears, then no, they're high light required. If you plant the anubias up high, on some drift wood, it would get more light than if you plan to have it sitting on the substrate.

Thanks! I was roughly going by this list for "Very Low Light" plants and Baby Tears is on it, but not imperative if they wouldn't work.

I'd rather not have to use CO2. I would dose ferts if necessary, but that's as far as I'd want to go. Maybe I'll try purchasing an Anubias and see what happens (I'm assuming if it starts turning brown then it's dying lol). Should I dose ferts or try without? If so, what should I use? Root tabs? Other? I'm clueless.... (also I have regular gravel substrate, not sure if that is a negative as well).

you probably be fine with a t 8, you won't have very much plant growth but you should be able to sustain most of them, especially the rhizome plants like java fern and anubias

Awesome thanks Jeta! Should I dose ferts or is it not necessary? And if so, any recommendations on brand, etc?

One follow-up question:

I bought two Argentine (not Amazon) Swords from PetCo (yes the ones in a tube lol). I've confirmed that they are aquatic plants but may have some initial die-off and then regrowth from adapting to a submersed environment if used to an ermersed one (if the leaves start to brown/die, should I just pull them off and keep the root/stem or do I need to pull out the whole leaf and stem? I know that's a dumb question but when it comes to plants I'm clueless).

Do I have any shot of keeping these plants alive? Will they even grow? I kept my light on for about 6-8 hours last night (again it's only a T8 single bulb, 18 watt, 8,000K). I don't have ferts yet as the PetCo I bought these plants from didn't carry ferts, oddly enough (is the Flourish still the best option or would these do better with root tabs or both)?

I have a Marimo ball too; it's been in there almost a week. Seems like it's OK but it also doesn't seem to be as deep green as it was when I got it, although I'll have to pull it out of the water to see for sure. I'm wondering if a dual-bulb T8 fixture would be better?

I know I might be better off with some Anubias which I still want to get but I'll have to order online or ask members here.

Thanks! :D

The light will probably sustain them, idk for sure, but I guess we'll find out. I prefer using both root tabs and column dosing, I believe that rooted plants can utilize either, though.

If it's one of those standard hood/light combos then I'd plant them towards the back closest to the light.

I wouldn't bother switching to a dual t8, if you are going to upgrade go to t5/t5ho, jthe cost isn't that much more to do it that way and it won't leave you lacking later on.

When swords get brown leaves it's best to cut the affected stems off as close to the base of the plant as possible.

The light will probably sustain them, idk for sure, but I guess we'll find out. I prefer using both root tabs and column dosing, I believe that rooted plants can utilize either, though.

If it's one of those standard hood/light combos then I'd plant them towards the back closest to the light.

I wouldn't bother switching to a dual t8, if you are going to upgrade go to t5/t5ho, jthe cost isn't that much more to do it that way and it won't leave you lacking later on.

When swords get brown leaves it's best to cut the affected stems off as close to the base of the plant as possible.

Thanks Jeta! I wish I could upgrade to a T5 but I tried them and they're too bright for my eyes, so I thought a T8 would provide more wattage per gallon but might not be as bright. I do have the plants to the rear (wanted to find some long, large-leaf plants for the background and these looked like they would fit the bill if I can get them to grow more). I'll pick up both types of ferts and use them.

Why not go with t5 with the pink plant bulbs? I think that'd serve your purpose well since the pink bulbs are low on the kelvin rating (i.e. warm colors).

One other option to keep the brightness down is to go with a dark substrate and dark background, the black will absorb the light and create less of a glare effect.

Why not go with t5 with the pink plant bulbs? I think that'd serve your purpose well since the pink bulbs are low on the kelvin rating (i.e. warm colors).

One other option to keep the brightness down is to go with a dark substrate and dark background, the black will absorb the light and create less of a glare effect.

I actually do have black substrate and a black background (with some pics of driftwood) and the T5 still seemed bright to me lol. That's a good idea using just the pink bulbs with the T5. The one I had bought didn't quite fit my hood though (it was wide enough but not deep enough) although it was probably fine. Maybe I'll try it again. Thanks.

I did pick up the Flourish Comp tonight and added a half-capful (they didn't have the root tabs), so we'll see how it goes.

I have the same light in my 20 high and I have java moss, amazon swords, and about 3 other types of plants I don't know what they are.

I just use liquid fert and they grow big and green.

Back
Top Bottom