Tang ID - pic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NimblyKimbly

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I just recently bought this little Tang from the LFS. They said it is a Phillipine Dwarf Tang, but I have not been able to find ANY info or even mention of this name. It is a small tang, right now about 2.5 inches long, and the guy at the store said it wouldn't get any bigger than about 6 or so inches.... ?? It has bright electric blue on the edges of it's dorsal, pelvic, and anal fins and has a powdery blue mouth. Can anyone ID and maybe give me info too?

It's definitely not a Yellow Tang (or at least I don't think so.)

TIA
Kimbly

Attachments

• aquarium_01-2007__4__105.jpg
    aquarium_01-2007__4__105.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 22
  • aquarium_01-2007__1__146.jpg
    aquarium_01-2007__1__146.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 22
It's a mimic tang Acanthurus pyroferus

Edited cause I didn't look close enough, I think it's a Atlantic Blue Juvenile (Yellow Juvenile Coloration) Tang - Acanthurus coeruleus

Hmmm yes, I'd definitely say the juvenile Atlantic Blue Tang is right!!! YIKES, it's going to get huge! i only have a 55 gal! Advice, anyone? Please don't say 'go buy a bigger tank!' lol!

Kimbly

Return it and get a smaller fish. Let them know they ID'd it wrong and maybe research your next fish before purchasing it. ;)

Hmmm, good advice. Gotcha... I guess I rely a bit too much on the LFS knowledge whilst I'm there. They always seem to know what they are talking about though! :eek:

NimblyKimbly said:
They said it is a Phillipine Dwarf Tang

NimblyKimbly said:
I guess I rely a bit too much on the LFS knowledge whilst I'm there. They always seem to know what they are talking about though! :eek:

:lol: It doesn't get much more incorrect than that. That fish is from the Caribbean, not the Philippines and grows to over 15", hardly a dwarf.

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/speciesSummary.php?ID=944&genusname=Acanthurus&speciesname=coeruleus

Instead of trusting the LFS in the future, I would invest in a copy of Scott Michael's Pocket Expert Guide to Marine Fishes. It is a great quick reference guide.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom