Tank a little cloudy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark Hewitt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know this a common question!
In the past month or so I've noticed my tank, which was previously pristine is now looking a little cloudy, you don't really notice it when looking at the front of the tank but looking at it long ways, you can see the other side is harder to make out.

It's not the usual white or green cloudyness I've seen described on websites, but it just looks silty, like I'd scooped up a load of water from the river and put it into my tank, or for that matter I'd reached in and given the sand on the bottom a good stir!

To try and solve the problem I've given the filter internals a good rinse out in tank water, and a lot of dirt did come out and it did improve the situation slightly, but it's still not great.

The fish are acting normally and I've tested the water and it is as it usually is: Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 5. I normally do a weekly 25% water change but last weekend I did 2 x 50% changes but the water looks pretty much the same!

Again it's not a massive problem but it does concern me that just over a month ago the water was absolutely crystal clear, and yet now it isn't!

The tank has been set up for a good 6 months now, so it's not in the middle of a cycle!

Perhaps the corries are stirring up the sand? Or perhaps my tap water has issues?

Is the water cloudy or just the tank glass? In the past when my tank has looked cloudy, I scraped the sides of the tank with a razor blade and it cleared everything up.

Is the water cloudy or just the tank glass? In the past when my tank has looked cloudy, I scraped the sides of the tank with a razor blade and it cleared everything up.

You make a good point, I don't think so but I will make a point of giving the glass a good scrub down at the weekend when I do my water change.

I had cloudy water in my sw tank until I bought a water movement pump. I don't know what equipment you have installed in your tank but the water movement pump fits inside the tank with a suction cup. If you don't have one I'd recommend you get one. It only took two days to clear my water. Good luck.

I don't think water movement is a big issue. The filter I have (Interpet PF2) kicks out a fair old current. i.e. I can see the tops of the plants on the opposite side of the tank swaying around in the current so I don't think circulation is a big problem.

I was thinking the same thing (as Big Jim), after a while you get a film on the glass inside your tank, scrub it down and see if that works.

Well it wasn't that..
I came home after 2 nights away to find that the tank is now crystal clear! My wife says that she'd cut back the feeding to once every two days, and that seems to have done the trick.

Point is now, how does one know if you are underfeeding the fish?

Back
Top Bottom