Tank cycling help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Datreeferman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everybody, I just set up my ten gallon freshwater tank today, I have some questions about how to cycle a freshwater tank, and if it's even needed. I've heard of a fish food cycling method so that's what I'm using. I added a small dash of fish food so far today. How often do I add the fish food? Once a day? Once a week?Do I leave the filter on during the cycling? How long does it take to cycle a 10 gallon freshwater tank? Also I used a "Jungle,fish care made easy"/"jungle lab corporation" product that says it's an ammonia, chloramine and chlorine eliminator. With that added can I go without cycling the tank? And last but not least, any suggestions for non-aggressive,attractive or helpful fish for the 10 gallon aquarium? :thanks: in advance. I only have a saltwater tank that I know a lot about.

It is 100% needed to cycle your aquarium.

Fish food method will work but it's inaccurate and slow. Your better bet is to get some pure household ammonia at Ace or other hardware store to cycle with. You're in the US so this should be easy to find. You also need the API Master Freshwater Test Kit. $20 on Amazon

Check out these articles to get started: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ou-get-started-with-your-aquarium-154837.html

Filter must be on, that is where your beneficial bacteria grow. The nitrogen cycle is just like with saltwater, you have to build beneficial bacteria to reduce ammonia and nitrites.

Your ammonia/chlorine remover has nothing to do with cycling, that is water conditioner to make tap water safe.

It sounds like you are starting from the very beginning so I would most recommend that you head to that link I posted and read through the stickies to gain an understanding of the nitrogen cycle in your freshwater tank, and then ask further questions from there.

Back
Top Bottom