Tank doesn't seem to be cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soccene

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10 gallon tank set up since March 10.
1 dalmation molly
1 red wag play
1 Panda Cory (several tank mates just died and I do not want to replace until I get the tank under control)
2 Julie Corys

Ammonia .50
Ph 6/7
I do not have a nitrate or nitrites test... Yes I know I will need to get one relatively soon to see what is going on in my tank.
Whisper ex20
Half aquarium rocks/half sand
2 fake plants
1 log

Sorry in advance for the long post, I have been stalking this forum for quite some time but I haven't exactly found out my issue.
I will also admit a lot of fault on some of my tank issues, so please no slamming.
I started my cycle with 4 panda Corys, 1 dalmation molly, 1 red wag platy, and 4 neon tetras. (I know now this was way too many to start a tank with). I take 95percent fault for not doing my research. Like a noob I thought I could get a tank, condition the water, and let my little guys go swimming.

Things were going well for awhile. I vacuum the gravel 2/3 times a week and do 30-50 percent water changes every other day. Mainly because I can't seem to get the ammonia levels down. A little back story, the red wag platy I got ended up having 3 babies, two weeks after I got the tank. I didn't want the babies to be eaten, so I bought another 10 gallon tank. I moved the babies to the new tank. Since the new tank was not properly cycled (brand new) I took the filter out of the other tank to put with the babies. That was on March 30. My ammonia spiked in the main tank. The max I ever measured it was 2. I test the ammonia almost daily in the tank I removed the filter from and I can't seem to get the ammonia down. I do use a water conditioner that is supposed to neutralize the ammonia, which I know is temporary. That is why I vacuum at least twice a week and do between 30/50 percent water changes every other day if not daily. I thought maybe the tank was a bit too crowded with the new filter so I moved my neon tetras to go live with the red wag platy fry. In the mean time I have lost all my panda cories except 1 in the last week. I know the tank is recycling and that is why I am doing mass water changes and vacuums. It has been almost 3 weeks since I removed that filter. So why can't I get my ammonia levels down to 0? I have read on this site and others Conflicting information on cleaning. Some say to only clean part of the subtrate and a max of 20 percent water changes and others say to clean the gravel with every water change. Which I am doing. I have cut down their feedings as well. For the last three weeks this tank gets 2 fish flakes and 1 sinking shrimp pellet cut into 2 (they are small pellets, but my molly eats them and I want my cories to be able to get some food. I cut it in half so they can at least get a bit) per day. So I guess I am asking on what my next step should be. Am I over cleaning? I should mention that I am very careful to stir my sand at least once every other day to prevent gas bubbles. I am also pretty confident that my panda cories died from the ammonia Spike from removing that filter even though I was doing fairly large water changes. I would like to save my other panda from the same fate. Again, I am so sorry for the novel I would rather give more info than less.
9a9uhyru.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of things to check would be:

water specs - yes, agree you need the full test kit (liquid based not strips :) ). Do you have the exact ph value? Below 6.5 the nitrifying bacteria slow down and below 6 they get really slow.

water used for tank changes - have you tested this to make sure no ammonia? Also check ph (let stand for 24 hrs to degas).

filter - does it have much ceramic bio-media or is it just carbon and floss?

Filter is carbon with floss. Ph reads 7. I have tested my water and it reads 0 ammonia. I did end up getting the 5 in one strips which showed my nitrite at a 3. 0 nitrate. I did a 50 percent water change and gravel vac.

Filter is carbon with floss. Ph reads 7. I have tested my water and it reads 0 ammonia. I did end up getting the 5 in one strips which showed my nitrite at a 3. 0 nitrate. I did a 50 percent water change and gravel vac.

Off to bed lol so this is quick.

Filter not practical unless you never change carbon as bb will grow in there and when changed you lose a large bb population.

Ph good.

Nitrite second part of cycle makes sense. A pinch of sea salt will protect fish from nitrite.

Strips inaccurate, I've found they can read low for nitrite and nitrate (not sure if same strips).

I think that maybe you might be vacuuming and washing out all of the healthy bacteria that gets rid of the ammonia. I agree, the strips aren't very accurate although signs are showing good. How are your platy fry doing with the tetras?

I was told not do WC until you tank cycles. WC delay the cycling process. Is this correct?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was told not do WC until you tank cycles. WC delay the cycling process. Is this correct?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Water changes will only delay the process if you are doing a fishless cycle and not dosing the tank with an ammonia supply. Most of the bacterial growth is in the filter media first, substrate second and only a small amount in the water column. As long as you have a steady source of ammonia present in the tank, it will cycle.

Back
Top Bottom