Tank - Half Sand Half Gravel - How To with Pictures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish4phil

Aquarium Advice Freak
I love the way gravel looks, I know Cory's love sand, so I was in a pickle...sand? or gravel? Why not both?

A few other members have successfully done half sand and half gravel which looks great, but I wanted something a little different - a flow between the 2, and a clean barrier to not allow them to slowly mix overtime. This is how I did that and the end result. Let me know what you think!

Post your pics of your half gravel/half sand tank!

My Tank Specs: 36G Bowfront Freshwater Tropical Community Tank (fish still being added ATM)

Materials Needed
  • CLEAN milk jug
  • Scissors
  • Small cup/small tupperware
  • Cleaned Sand (I used White Pool Filter Sand 20 Grain)
  • Gravel (you pick, I like the look of medium-sized colored gravel)

How-To
  1. Figure out your design - I used pixlr.com (Paint will work just fine) (thank you user GreenLily with design help)
  2. Cut long milk jug strips as needed. If you're divding your tank from front to back (as opposed to left to right), your back strips will need to be tapered/angeled. I used 4 strips total, the back strip was 2" tall on one and, 1 1/2" tall on the other. The 2nd strip from the back was 1 1/2" on one end, 1" on the other end, and the 2 strips closest to the front are both 1" tall
  3. Remove any decorations that will be in your way. It's easiest to remove all decorations from your tank to correctly slope your sand and gravel.
  4. Start a water change - I suggest 50%. This will make it easier for your arms to be in the tank
  5. Remove gravel (if needed) with a small cup
  6. Slowly add your cleaned sand. Scoop up some sand in your small cup, while keeping it upright, slowly lower it to the bottom of your tank. Slowly pour out the sand on the bottom into 1 big pile in the corner. Start at the far end away from the gravel.
  7. Then put your milk jug divider strips against the gravel with one hand, and slowly move the sand towards the barrier with your other hand.
  8. Continue doing this for all strips as needed.
  9. Take some gravel and place over the strips to weigh them down some (they will float if you don't do this)
  10. Add just a few gravel pieces "overflowing" onto the sand for a neat effect
  11. Finish water change as normal
  12. Enjoy!

Attachments

• 20131124_141313.jpg
    20131124_141313.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 752
  • 20131124_141319.jpg
    20131124_141319.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 6,759
Wow! This looks amazing! You did a great job! It IS possible to do half sand half gravel. :)

Very nice indeed!

How are you liking your h2show? Got one for my community tank and seems like they fixed the major issues from their older aerators.

I like it! A little louder than the filter, but I'm used to it now. It gives a really cool effect :)

I've started a new tank and wanted sand for my kuhli loaches. You were my inspiration!

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1389629444852.jpg
    1389629444852.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,873
That looks very very nice! I really like how you have a "river" of sand running through :)

What kinds of plants are those (that look almost like blade of grass)?

Thank you! They are Dwarf Sagittarius this is my first attempt at a planted tank so I hope they don't melt to bad.

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That looks nice, I have the same pebbles I might try something like that In the future

Back
Top Bottom