Tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chev13696

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have one red tail tinfoil barb and going to be getting more. Any one have any ideas for larger fish (do not want small fish) that will be good tank mates for these. I have a 125 gallon aquarium.

i have no experience with such sized fish, but my local LFS keeps tinfoil barbs and Oscars together in a 160 gallon show tank. None of the fish ever show any signs of damage or fighting.

i have no experience with such sized fish, but my local LFS keeps tinfoil barbs and Oscars together in a 160 gallon show tank. None of the fish ever show any signs of damage or fighting.

Oscars they are aggressive aren't they? Looking for something a little more calm.

Those are a semi aggressive fish I'm pretty sure. I kept a rainbow shark in my tank awhile back with them. He grew to be about 6in if that's big enough lol.

Those are a semi aggressive fish I'm pretty sure. I kept a rainbow shark in my tank awhile back with them. He grew to be about 6in if that's big enough lol.

Yeah that size should be ok just don't want tiny fish in that big of a tank. But yeah looking for fish that can get 6+ inches. I will have to look I to the rainbow sharks. How long do they take to grow to the 6 inch mark.

I am just finding out about oscars I have never hsd one until now or wanted one because I thought they were extremely aggressive. My roommate sent me a text asking if I wanted a dwarf cichlid so I was thinking a ram, Krib or something of the such. I came home and found a baby red Oscar in my tank! I did dome research and apparently they really aren't all that bad, I am sure there are some nasty ones actually that's how I ended up with this guy the other Oscar his friend had was beating the heck out of it. Anyways I have him in with angels and pink kissers and they seem to be doing just fine together.

oscars would be fine for the tinfoil barbs imo as they get to be the same size, and oscars are not as aggressive as other cichlids when they are mature.

Mine took about a year to grow but if you keep your water conditions stable and healthy and they have a good diet they should grow faster. There's also the albino rainbow shark and the red tail shark. I haven't owned an albino yet so can't give much info on the guy. The red tail will grow the same size as the rainbow but you can only keep one shark in your tank or they will fight till there is only one left. Gouramis are good fish as well I think they can grow to be 5-6in or more not sure. There are some catfish that can get pretty big but will eat fish that can fit in its mouth such as the pangasius catfish. I have one right now, he's only 4in currently but they can get a couple ft big. There's the pleco for an algae eater. He can grow to be about a ft long. Silver dollars get pretty big and can be a joy to watch in a tank because they are schooling fish. I know you said no small fish but if you want a fun fish to make your tank look a Lil more lively I recommend the albino catfish they get about 2in and love to school in a group of 6 or more. They're so cute and hilarious when they swim up and around the tank together. Pictus catfish can be a beautiful fish to acquire in a 125g tank they can grow pretty large and enjoy schooling with its own species. They are about 10 dollars each at petsmart though. An advanced fish you could try is the black ghost knife fish. It will grow to be 21 in+ but you can also hand feed these fish since they tend to be picky eaters and Apperantly somewhat blind. I have one and he's a real sweet heart. They have to have a cave though because they are sensitive to light. I'm sure there are more fish but I can't think of any right now of the top of my head.

Oh i remember there's the Bala shark and the silver tipped shark (catfish). Not sure if balas can school as they get older you'd have to research. I have seen a couple of tanks however that looked like they schooled so I'm unsure.

Oh i remember there's the Bala shark and the silver tipped shark (catfish). Not sure if balas can school as they get older you'd have to research. I have seen a couple of tanks however that looked like they schooled so I'm unsure.

Thank you for your advice. I will have do some looking around at some of those fish.

Back
Top Bottom