tank overheating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edmonton Eskimo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been watching my tank for the last couple days and the temp has been through the roof. I have mh lighting which would make the temp go up slightly but it would come back down after I turned the light off. Now the temp stays up and I can't get it to come down. Will mh lighting cause a 5 degree swing in a matter of 5-6 hours? I haven't had my heater on for a few days now.

Consider a setting up some fans to blow across the waters surface. May also want to think about a chiller.

I have seen swings from 81 in the morning to 86 at night shut off. Sometimes depends on the outside air or humidity for me. My basement humidity fluxuates somewhat and I can see the effects on the tank temp :(

I run a fan on my sump when needed. I am in FL right now and my tank is in IN so I have a fan blowing on my sump via a timer so it does not run constantly. Increases evaporation though.

Definately get some fans for the canopy if you don't have any already. I have 2 fans blowing out and 1 blowing in.

Edmonton Eskimo said:
I have been watching my tank for the last couple days and the temp has been through the roof. I have mh lighting which would make the temp go up slightly but it would come back down after I turned the light off. Now the temp stays up and I can't get it to come down. Will mh lighting cause a 5 degree swing in a matter of 5-6 hours? I haven't had my heater on for a few days now.

I had this problem with mine, and I couldnt get the temp below 80 degrees no matter what I did. I found that my heater even though it was turned all the way down, was still turning on. My heater actually went bad. I replaced it, and now my temp stays between 77 and 78.5....

Back
Top Bottom