Teaching Fish To Jump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HollieDahhrlinn

Aquarium Advice Activist
Heyaah,
I have 1 paradise and 2 danio's - both of which are confirmed jumpers.
I was wondering - could i teach them to jump?
And is it wise to? I see people doing it on youtube and hear about people training their fish to jump,
Do you think its an okay idea?
I heard by getting some special treat like bloodworm (frozen then thawed) or brine shrimp (frozen then thawed) could work?

Advice needed please?
I ask because my neighbour does it with their fish and when i was wondering what people think?
Thanks

The thing about actually rewarding them to jump they might start carpet surfing.

Yeah back in the day when my parents did aquariums they were lucky enough to get a molly they would jump over this water tube they had in the water. He would just jump and jump over that thing, but they never taught it to do that.

I'm sure you can teach most of all fish to jump if you starve it, put food above the water and let them jump for it. Then start feeding it again but still having them jump for some of it, eventually they will do it whenever. The only problem is they will start jumping whenever they think food is above the water, so unless you have a full lid that covers the entire top, no gaps or anything, they will end up on the floor.

i cant find a pic. i know someone who taught their clown loach to come up on the edge of the tank for a treat. it was amazing. still looking for the pic.

+1 for Ben. I have 3 fish (2 bettas and a D. Gourami) who jump out of the water whenever my finger is near it. They will also chase my finger all around the tank. I have never had a problem with them trying to jump out when I am not there, but yes, make sure there is a lid on the tank, and no gaps for them to jump thru.

wow, the things they can do with cgi nowadays..... haha thats actually pretty cool. maybe ill train my piranhas.

Back
Top Bottom