Teacup stingray

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ravden

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just quick question we were just at a lfs and wifey saw a teacup ray and I am just looking to see if this would do well in our 100 gallon fw community owner of store told me biggest issue may be my pictus cat other inhabitants are yoyo poach about 20 different tetras 3 barbs Vila shark and 5 glow fish all tetras any input?

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

100 gal is to small don't be mislead by the name teacup as they don't stay small

You can expect a size of 16" disk which isn't small as that's the size of a car wheel they also have a longer than average tail

Teacup is just a name given to small I identified stingray they are normally reticulatus

They are also one of the hardest rays to get feeding as most if not all are wild caught with most we see for sale in local fish shops only being a few weeks old

Thanks for input so best case I need a rehome in a year or so (not sure on their growth) and possibly put all inhabitants into our 30 to round the corners with acrylic just to get rid of the ray ..... Hmmm is it worth it ....

Rays are worth it

But they need lots of food big water changes and good fiteration

No decor no plants

The one thing is make sure they are feeding before you buy and don't take the shop owners word for it get him to feed in front of you then leave a deposit then return in 2 days to collect

Also make sure it's feeding on more than blood worm or black worms prawn mussel or better still pellets

Get a male they stay a little smaller than females

Thanks for input so best case I need a rehome in a year or so (not sure on their growth) and possibly put all inhabitants into our 30 to round the corners with acrylic just to get rid of the ray ..... Hmmm is it worth it ....

Keeping up on good food and WC's and IMO, you'll have about six months you could keep it. Honestly, for me, it would not be worth the effort for the little amount of time to house it. I've got a custom 300g in storage that will get set up after a move and only then will I get mine.

It's.not the gal that matter it's the footprint

It's not worth it unless your tank is 24" wide or more

Most teacup rays you see for sale are only about 4" disk

Back
Top Bottom