Temp fluctuations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

howmanyds

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it usual to have the temp in a small tank (15g) fluctuate with a submersible heater? I'm on my third one (this time an eheim jager) and it heats to 78.8 and then drops to 77.4 before heating back up again. The others I tried had up to a 4° fluctuation.

Isn't this bad for my cichlid fry who are sensitive to changes?

What name brand? I would think temp swings would not be that great for fry. A degree of fluctuation isn't that bad but 4 to 5 degrees is a large swing.

The current one is eheim. The previous ones were viaAqua.

The fluctuation shouldn't effect the fry, unless it is a sudden drop or rise. Water cools relatively slowly and fish in the wild can be subject to quite substantial variations in the course of a day.

I just never had that problem with my 75 gallon and an in-line heaters on each of two canister filters. The temp seldom varies more than 2/10 of a degree.

Since my fish are from Lake Tanganyika, where the water values don't change much, I've read that small changes can sometimes be upsetting. But as long as a degree or two won't hurt over the course of a few hours.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom