Temperature Problem - Light too hot! Need creative solution!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David14259

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I replaced the 13watt CF bulb on my 12 Gallon Eclipse with a 40watt CF bulb. Everything was going great until I noticed that my water temp stays around 80-81*F no matter how much I turn the heater down.

Apparently my light is heating the tank. Ideally, I would like a temperature of ~76-77*. I cannot move the light farther away from the water.

The only thing I can come up with, is to either drill some vent holes in my hood, which I really don't want to do. Or attach some sort of cooling fan, which will be my last resort.

Does anyone else out there have any creative ideas to help lower the temp a few degrees?

Thanks,
David

You basically nailed down your options. Basically the radiant heat from the bulb is raising water temperature. You need to cool the air around the bulb by moving the air out of the way so there is cooler air that the water can exchange it's heat with to cool down. Depending on your situation though, you may not be able to cool it enough if there isn't much room. I would try computer fans.

Back
Top Bottom