Tetra with Swollen Eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talbott37

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi- I've noticed that one of my glo-tetras has a slightly swollen eye today. No redness or any other symptoms that I can find. It doesn't appear to be as large as the photos I am seeing of popeye, but possibly it has not reached that point yet. All other fish seem healthy, although I did add a julii Cory into the tank approx. 2 weeks ago, so there is the possibility of him having introduced a parasite or infection that I'm not aware of. This particular tetra is also pretty aggressive when it comes to food, so there could also be a chance that he injured himself going after bloodworms yesterday. Is there anything I can do to stop this from progressing? There seems to be a big debate over the use of salt with the corys, (some say never, and some say they've used it for years) but I don't have a quarantine tank at this time and won't be able to get one here any time within the next few days... I did a 50 percent water change today, and had done a 30 percent two days ago..Any suggestions to help this little guy?

12 gal fluval edge tank
2 glo-tetras
2 glo-danios
2 julii corys
1 Oto
A varying number of unintentional plant related snails

Medium gravel
3 anubias barteri plants
Driftwood
2 artificial plants

Deep blue mini-stix heater, temp 78 degrees
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Ammonia 0
Hardness 150
Chlorine 0
Alkalinity 80
pH 6.8

Water changes/gravel vacuum weekly
3 gallons changed per week

Food:
Daily -
Omega One Flakes
2 small Hikari Tropical sinking wafers
Every other Day-
1/4 of a Hikari Tropical Algae Wafer
Weekly-
Freeze dried blood worms (soaked in tank water)

Update: the eye seems that it has perhaps ruptured or perforated over night... I've attached a photo that gives a bit of a view of it today...

image-4078830459.jpg

Hi spiketooth- could you please send that link again? It didn't show up on my end... Thanks much!!

Back
Top Bottom