Thanks for the help - Tank is Cycled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flvol77

Aquarium Advice Regular
Thanks for the help - Tank is Cycled - Now what fish? 55 gallon

Woke up this morning and the Ammonia which had been dropping like a rock the last few days was gone and so was the Nitrites, I went out and walked the dog and was stunned when I saw that test tube that had been dark purple 10 mins before was almost clear.

Added Ammonia again this AM and by 10 pm, same results.

Now I am trying to figure out what fish to get....Oh and I set up the 29 gallon tank in the bedroom tonight!

I have a smaller tank with some Cherry barbs, 3 and a striped raphael catfish that I am going to transfer over, I think I am going to get 2 more Cherry barbs since they are more comfortable in schools of 5

Any suggests on fish? I have used the AqAdvisor.....I like Angelfish, Neon Blue Guppys, Sailfin Molly, Platys... just to name a few. Oh btw its a 55 gallon freshwater with a lot of fake coral, sand substrate and a Fluval 406 Canister.

Ooooo soo many options or a 55g community. They are really fun to stock :)

If you wanted to go the smaller schooling community fish route I would be hesitant about adding angel fish. I've seen some angels that were pure sweet hearts and wouldn't hurt a fly and then you see some of them that are nothing but bastard coated bastards with bastard filling and love to harass everything in sight. They will also get quite large. If you can find a LFS that will let you trade them out until you find a nice one then that might be a good route to go.

As for other stocking options I always suggest some harlequin rasboras. Aside from those a bristlenose pleco would work nicely. German Blue Rams are especially nice looking fish and you can fit 4 of them in a tank that size although I seem to have a hard time keeping them alive for some reason because they are really sensitive fish. Zodiac loaches are also really entertaining fish. Really the sky is the limit with freshwater fish in a 55g unless you like the really big species that is.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom