the start of ich.....help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquarium 308

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got the start of ich. I immediately started Kordons ich treatment cause thats all my local shop had. It that good stuff. I increased my temp to 80degrees. My neon that has shown signs has improved since I started treatment. But it appears to have spread to my blue ram, one of my corys and all 4 of my candy cane tetras. It has been 48 hours of treatment. How long does it usually take. Any suggestions. Really concerned.

With Corys, you want to avoid ich meds. I believe the Kordons is herbal, so its okay to use. Honestly, the best treatment is to raise the temp to 86 (no less) and keep it there for 10-12 days. This speeds up the cycle, and they cant reproduce in this temp, so they die (the ich). No meds needed and it wont hurt your fish or biological filter. I was scared to turn my heat up that high, but it was fine and it worked like magic.

Sidenote, throw in an airstone or lower the water level so the HOB filter causes surface agitation as warm water carries less oxygen. If you see the fish gasping at the surface, then you need an airstone 100% for sure. This heat method is well know, so you can google it if you want more in detailed info.

With Corys, you want to avoid ich meds. I believe the Kordons is herbal, so its tomorroy to use. Honestly, the best treatment is to raise the temp to 86 (no less) and keep it there for 10-12 days. This speeds up the cycle, and they cant reproduce in this temp, so they die (the ich). No meds needed and it wont hurt your fish or biological filter. I was scared to turn my heat up that high, but it was fine and it worked like magic.

Sidenote, throw in an airstone or lower the water level so the HOB filter causes surface agitation as warm water carries less oxygen. If you see the fish gasping at the surface, then you need an airstone 100% for sure. This heat method is well know, so you can google it if you want more in detailed info.

After reading some of the other the other threads heat does seem to be the preferred method. I guess tomorrow I will reinstall my carbon into the filter and ill start raising the temp tonight

After reading some of the other the other threads heat does seem to be the preferred method. I guess tomorrow I will reinstall my carbon into the filter and ill start raising the temp tonight

It really works. I was very skeptical at first too, but the proof was in the tank. After a few days the ich vanished and I kept the tank up to ensure it was indeed dead. Ive tried all the meds they offer, but none work as well and usually stress the poor fish.

I lost one of my candy cane tetras last night. He was the most infected fish. It looked like the others ganged up on the sickest. His fins were picked clean. Ive not had a problem with the fish being aggressive. My bet is that with the extra stress and the sickest just fell to be a victim. The other fish are no worse or they have improved. I got it almost up to 86degrees and have stopped the medication. Thanks everyone ill keep u updated

This is the third day of 86+ degrees. It has mostly been 88. Late last night I lost another candy cane tetra. Do they not take the heat well? It was the second most infected fish. The first one has already passed. I have 8 neons, 4 peppered corys, had 4 candy cane tetras and 1 blue ram. Ich has totally cleared in all neons though only two ever showed signs. All the candy cane tetras showed signs of ich. The two most infected have passed since turning up the temp. One has totally cleared. The other is not getting worse but not showing much improvement. Two of the corys showed a little ich not much. They were wanting to hide this morning but it appeared that they have also cleared up. My blue ram has shown signs of ich. I would say his ich condition has slightly improved but he seems to be breathing heavier. I am running a air stone and the fish are not skimming the top of the tank. Ill keep everyone updated.

Sometimes you can' travel em all :(. The two you lost were probably already overwhelmed and just couldn't take it.

Fourth day of heat. Candy cane tetra is still improving. The one cory still showing spots. My blue ram passed today. I believe it was the heat. His ich condition appeared to have improved. He was just breathing heavier than normal all day yesterday. I had 17 fish and im down to 14 from this deal.

Here is what to do:
Step one: Find a trash can and place the meds in it.
Step two: Slowly raise the heat to 86 for 10+ days
Step three: Enjoy your ich free fish!

I believe that im gonna loose my cory that was showing minimal r signs of ich. In the last 24 hours his ich condition has greatly spread all over his body. He is now acting odd and is not moving much. No other fish show signs at this time.

My one cory that showed signs of ich passed. All other fish appear to be ich free. Friday will be 10 days. Saturday ill turn the heat down. All plants did well except my amazon sword is starting to look a little squishy like itnwill just turn to slim

Back
Top Bottom