Think my QT tank has ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I can raise the temps but want to make sure it's ok for the tiny corys? (hasbrosus).

After googling I am removing the Red Eye tetras to another tank for treatment (they are hte only ones I may see it on. There are 3 specs of 'salt' 2 are on the dorsal fins and just look like ich.

I left the flame tetras and corys in the other tank and will just raise the temps to hasbrosus max temp (78) and cross my fingers.

No salt being used.

If you have any further advice or recommendations let me know! Thanks!

Well, you just doubled your ich problem by moving the fish with obvious signs to another tank. I have no cory experience but both tanks now need to be treated. If your using solely heat, you will need to work on raising the temp to the 86-88f range in both tanks. Increase your aeration & do frequent water changes/grav vacs. Maintain this for atleast a week after the last spot is gone. 78f will do little to treat ich.

I had one fish start to show signs of ick in my 29 gallon tank, what I did was slowly over the course of a week raise to the temp to 87 degs and left it there for 2 weeks, I added maybe 3 wholes Tablespoons to the tank very very very slowly due to my snails(I didnt have my 5 other tanks at the time) I had to watch the snails very closely but they all did pretty well.

I left the heat that high for about 2 weeks, when I saw no signs of ick I did a 40% water change then slowly started to bring the temp down over another week. no more ick.

strange part was he had been in the tank for a month no signs then one day boom 2 white spots on his tail.

But since you moved the one that may have ick now you have 2 tanks to treat instead of the one.

Sort of doubled. Double trouble but the Red Eyes are in a tank by themselves so they are just separated but not infecting anyone else.

I am slowly raising temps for the tank with the Pygmy Corys it is at 78 now in the article I read it said that 78 would speed the lifecycle. Not kill it right away but sooner thank it may have otherwise. If the Corys are ok with the higher temps I will start to raise it higher. The forum posts I found suggested they didn't do well with it so it was 6 of one half dozen of the other. I should have followed my instincts to begin with. The Red Eyes were acting skittish in the bag from the store.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom