thinking about sw tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neil_04

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey guys i have a good deal on a 55 gallon tank from a friend but its a fresh water (not drilled) can you make a saltwater tank without haveing the sump holes like going up over the edge or should i just make another fresh water?

Yes. There are HOB overflows and returns available.

I was going to also say that you can use HOB filters, but the other two beat me to it!

i didnt think that you could use hobs on a sw. So would the rest of the system be the same as a canister style, i mean just that filter cant make enough current i would still nedd power heads and skimmer right

i didnt think that you could use hobs on a sw. So would the rest of the system be the same as a canister style, i mean just that filter cant make enough current i would still nedd power heads and skimmer right

The HOBs that I was referring to are like these... they also have returns that hang.

Reef Aquarium Filtration: Eshopps Overflow Boxes

As far as a regular HOB filter on a SW tank, they absolutely can work. I run one on my nano with all media removed and filled with LR rubble. Think poor man's refugium. ;)

You don't need a sump to run a saltwater tank. Is nice but not required. There are HOB filters, skimmers, canister filters, etc.

Not hard to come up with a sump though...

Ten gallon tank.. home made overflow!

Waalaa!

As the Captain mentioned, sumps aren't a necessity. Nice... but not required. I run a 46g saltwater tank, with a HOB skimmer, a Marineland HOT cannister to run carbon/purigen/etc, and a little HOB Penguin biowheel in case I have to start up a quarantine tank with an instant biological filter. I just didn't want to futz with a sump and figured I'd give it a go without and see how things went.

BUT... as mentioned HOB overflows are a dime a dozen if you want to go that route.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom