This is not another help with my cycle!!! Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vance1013

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hows everyone doing,
so as many of us know the understanding of the cycle process ie. Fish in/ fishless i want to hear your experience with yours. With my own its very odd with each tank ive cycled ive noticed a trend. The trend for my fishless cycle is that my ph likes to drop to a ph of around 6.2-6.0 mainly during the nitrite spike. i find it odd. i keep a buffer in my tanks a chunk of dried coral for the cycle and a small piece once done if ive got any inverts heres my question to all of you. have you seen this in yours during a cycle?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm at the tail end of my very first tank cycling (fishless) so I can't speak to trends from my experience. However, with this cycling I didn't have any changes to my pH at all. My pH has been consistently at 8.3. I've never put any pH adjusters into my tank. My tank along with all of its components were new. Gravel substrate. I have plastic plants in there along with 2 marimo moss balls. I also threw in a few vegetable plant seeds that are germinating now.

Interesting sounds. Like your well on your way what size tank and whats your stocking plan. I wonder if the difference is that since the water supply of my area is soft is the reason that it drops

I have a small 10 g that I plan to stock with glofish. My water is quite hard, but we use a whole house softener.

Your tap is 8.3 with a pre softener installed

Yes. We have one of those huge water softeners in the basement. 8.3 is what I measure coming out of the tap that has the softened water.

Yeah, bacteria tends to consume the alkalinity in a tank so it commonly leads to problems when you have poorly buffered water.

Point taken i had a feeling it was something like that my water is very soft a ph of 6.6

Any other opinions or experiences out there i find it not frustrating just very interesting

Back
Top Bottom