Thorichthys maculipinnis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ph pen

Hi Tom
I have over 100 tanks in my basement!
I just bought a ph pen . I use to check my water with the bottles test kits
i think this is more accurate?
my city water test 6
and most of my electric blue rams tanks are around 6.5
do you like these reading for rams?

I found the ph pens I have are all over the board ,even saying my RO is over 8 when my tap is 7.6 ? I use the liquid test if I even care to know ph. PH basically means nothing to me !
TDS or nothing for me ...It helps knowing what my source water is but honestly have no clue what my ro comes out as .
6.5 should be good for rams in my book as long as the TDS is still low..I know another ram breeder who has matching ph to my source[7.6] but his TDS is under 100 , while mine is 350+ so in my book that right there is aclear example of how worthless ph alone is ...:whistle:

I have one of those!!! It's been propping my basement window sash open for months;)

Yea my source is 350+TDS 7.6 ph /2-3 kh and aprox 9 GH .
I mix my ro which without DI is aprox. 18 TDS with tap to get 75 -100 TDS.
Like I said when I used the PH pen it said my ro was 8+ which is not really possible as far as I know..The one time I tested my ro with my API liquid test it did not even read as high as lowest[under 7] on the api color chart ,so I don't even bother to figure it out..
Once I get something to work I don't mess with it or try to be overly meticulous.. TDS is all I care about for breeding the rams ..I test TDS even on my swordtail tanks which with the addition of wonder shells goes around 1100 TDS ! The PH due to wonder shells is actually driven down so I add baking soda to keep it in the 7 range...

Back
Top Bottom