tiger barb problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MandM

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have four tiger barbs I tried getting another from petland after an employee at PETCO suggested I get five to insure they don't fight and have a proper pecking order well the dumb ***** at petland beat the poor fifth fishes head against the side of the tank about a hundred times while he dangled by two little fins entrapped in the net then stands back and says there u go he look good, I said okay fearing the fate of the others had I asked her to fish out a different one. Of course the fifth fish died I'm sure from traumatic head injuries within a few hours leaving me with four again (I'll never go back to petland) should I be worried about not having an odd number of them the four seem just fine besides the occasional flashing against the sand which is very seldom once every few hours slightly more only during feeding time they look healthy no signs of anything wrong and have been for a while should I go back for another not from pet land and any advice on the flashing?

MandM said:
I have four tiger barbs I tried getting another from petland after an employee at PETCO suggested I get five to insure they don't fight and have a proper pecking order well the dumb ***** at petland beat the poor fifth fishes head against the side of the tank about a hundred times while he dangled by two little fins entrapped in the net then stands back and says there u go he look good, I said okay fearing the fate of the others had I asked her to fish out a different one. Of course the fifth fish died I'm sure from traumatic head injuries within a few hours leaving me with four again (I'll never go back to petland) should I be worried about not having an odd number of them the four seem just fine besides the occasional flashing against the sand which is very seldom once every few hours slightly more only during feeding time they look healthy no signs of anything wrong and have been for a while should I go back for another not from pet land and any advice on the flashing?

Hi Mandm... Some people are ridiculous, can't believe they did that! Sorry about your loss. I purchased 6 tigers Saturday, they were ok the first night. However, one barb was slightly larger (they're all babies) and he started picking on the other 5 really bad. To the point they were hiding individually turning pale while he ran the show. I ended up picking up 4 more today, and so far they are doing awesome, schooling all over the tank together (10 of them)

Is it possible you can maybe get 2 or 3 more? They may be happier the more you have!

Sorry no advice on the flashing, I'm still a newbie! Best of luck though. They're such active fish!

Yeah I think I might consider some more I have a new tank im setting up now its much bigger I may try for a few more

I have community tanks so Tiger Barbs are just too aggressive for some of the long fin gentle types. But I've discovered a variant that is great. Its got five stripes instead of 4 like the common variety (hence the name Pentazona). They are far more laid back. But they still need numbers to be happy. I have 8 in each of the two tanks that have them.

I have community tanks so Tiger Barbs are just too aggressive for some of the long fin gentle types. But I've discovered a variant that is great. Its got five stripes instead of 4 like the common variety (hence the name Pentazona). They are far more laid back. But they still need numbers to be happy. I have 8 in each of the two tanks that have them.

Those common name for that fish is five banded barb. I have six of them in my 20g tank, and yes they are a good community fish.

I would recommend that you don't go under 6 for any schooling/shoaling fish.

Back
Top Bottom