Tiger Lotus Bulb Floating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iloveplants

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently transplanted my tiger lotus bulb which I have had for 2 years now from one tank to another. Suddenly, it has started floating.
Does this mean it is rotting? It has no leaves or roots, just the bulb.
Thanks for any help.

I recently transplanted my tiger lotus bulb which I have had for 2 years now from one tank to another. Suddenly, it has started floating.

Does this mean it is rotting? It has no leaves or roots, just the bulb.

Thanks for any help.

I have a couple of these plants, I love them! When I first got them I had to half plant mine, leaving just the top end of the bulb above the substrate. It was fun trying to figure out which end was which, and I ended up turning them over after a week. My fish thought they were soccer balls to bounce around rofl. Once I put the root tabs under my sand they started shutting up like gang busters.

Loll!! Sounds adorable!
Thank you so much! I love tiger lotuses so much which is exactly why I wanted more of them.
I'll let you know if it grows as well!

Loll!! Sounds adorable!
Thank you so much! I love tiger lotuses so much which is exactly why I wanted more of them.
I'll let you know if it grows as well!

It was pretty funny watching them, it’s probably my fault as I used to have those wanna be moss balls (I wish I could get an actual marimo ball or two, but I guess there’s a ban or something on them right now?) and they used to bounce around those. So they probably just thought I replaced em with the bulbs ?

Good lucky on yours!

I wish I could get an actual marimo ball or two, but I guess there’s a ban or something on them right now?

Is that still going on? In case you arent aware a whole lot of marimo moss balls got into circulation from Ukraine that where infected with zebra mussels. Zebra mussels are banned in the US (and probably some other countries) so marimo moss balls got taken off the market. I think there was a recommendation at the time in the US to completely tear down and clean out tanks that had moss balls in them bought after February 2021.

I think a lot of moss balls in the hobby are sourced from Ukraine anyway, so supply may on the low side because of the "special military operation". I know my LFS doesnt have any, but some other stores nearby do.

On a side note im thinking of making some marimo moss balls in a jar and selling them at a car boot sale. They sell online for £25ish and i recon i can make them for about £5 each. Try selling a few for £10 each to make a bit of pocket (beer) money.

Is that still going on? In case you arent aware a whole lot of marimo moss balls got into circulation from Ukraine that where infected with zebra mussels. Zebra mussels are banned in the US (and probably some other countries) so marimo moss balls got taken off the market. I think there was a recommendation at the time in the US to completely tear down and clean out tanks that had moss balls in them bought after February 2021.

I think a lot of moss balls in the hobby are sourced from Ukraine anyway, so supply may on the low side because of the "special military operation". I know my LFS doesnt have any, but some other stores nearby do.

On a side note im thinking of making some marimo moss balls in a jar and selling them at a car boot sale. They sell online for £25ish and i recon i can make them for about £5 each. Try selling a few for £10 each to make a bit of pocket (beer) money.

I actually wasn’t sure what the deal with the ban was, my LFS just said they couldn’t get them bc a government ban. (I’m in the US if it matters) so that’s how I ended up with the fake balls they package up lol

What are these fake moss balls? Are they just artificial or are they a different kind of moss ball to marimo?

What are these fake moss balls? Are they just artificial or are they a different kind of moss ball to marimo?

They’re constructed moss balls, I’ll include a pic. IMG_2278.jpg

They tell you to remove them after a certain amount of time I can’t recall exactly how much time. The LFS sell them they’re aquarium safe, though they are marketed for turtle tanks. They’re pretty firm, bc the inner cage(?) the mossy stuff is wrapped around.

Honestly I never noticed a difference in smell in my tank having them or not, and they didn’t help nitrate levels at all, so I got rid of them after the time limit was reached, and didn’t bother getting anymore.

Back
Top Bottom