Tigerbarbs killing Tigerbarbs???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CompMage

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a bit of an odd problem that I did not for-see. (to skip story go to paragraph 3)

A good number of months ago my 55 Tigerbarb tank was all but killed off due to a backwashed Yeast CO2... no idea really, other than only the pleco and 5 of the 12 tigers survived. And even then needed nursed back to health for almost a month. Very sad....

But that is no the problem. The problem about a month and a half ago I went and got 5 young tigers to start to fill back in the pack. They lived in my QT for about 3 weeks to make sure nothing was odd. They seemed nice and happy. I moved them to the main tank. At first everything seemed fine.

I put the new Tigers in with the tank and they all schooled up all happy. Was a nice sight. But over the week when I figured they would start fighing over thier pecking order as they always do. The smaller ones really started chasing the larger ones. They even killed one by nipping some of the fins off, likely causing it to die of stress????

I've check and re-checked then took my water to the local fish store and they said it was all good. They said they have not had any problems with that lot of tigers health wise.

My older barbs are about 3 or 4 years old now. I'm very proud of them. Do I need to find the newer ones another tank? Or will this subside? I've never seen them kill each other. Just do thier "big fish" game.

55 Gallon planted tank,
9 Tigerbarbs, 7 Neons (I got tired of them in the 10g so I dumped them in) and the pleco.

You got me on that one - let's see if anybody knows what's going on. I have seen tiger barbs do that macho tank dominance thing - it gets very busy for a while but then it always subsides. It never goes away, there is alway a friendly reminder by the top dogs to the others about who runs the pack. What is really surprising to me (and if I understood correctly )is that the neons are okay. Anytime I put neons with tigers the neons took a beating. :scrambleup:

Neons are FAST. So far they have seemed very happy in the larger tank. They will have thier own heavly planted tank soon enough. Right now they got lots of plants to hide in when they want to. But they don't hide much. But the newer barbs do take a swim right threw thier school when they get the chance but it's fruitless.

Back
Top Bottom