Today In The Fishroom~10/29/11 The Betta Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquamojo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My good friends Rose and Tony Orso laid a couple of very nice Betta on me to photograph. I purchased two plastic boxes at a local craft store. One I painted with a black background and the other I left clear. I set them up on top of a piece of eggcrate suspended across two cinder blocks. Underneath I put one heavily diffused Nikon SB-900 flash...on top another with a Gary Fong Lightsphere. Behind I placed a silver reflector. This had no effect on the black background, but when I switched to the clear it gave some additional back light. Once I placed the box down I cut a small hole in the eggcrate and placed a hand mirror so it would lay against the side of the box.

Here's the setup:

Betta-Tank-Set-Up.jpg

The results...IMHO were amazing. I was shooting at ISO 100, 1/320th, @ f32. The colors were off the chart since the light was filtering both in front and behind the fish. Here's the results:

Never seen a pink Betta. This fish is amazing.

Orso-Betta-1.jpg

Orso-Betta-8.jpg

Orso-Betta-9.jpg

Orso-Betta-10.jpg

Orso-Betta-12.jpg

Orso-Betta-13.jpg

Finally a dragon scale Betta.

Orso-dragon-scale-Betta-1.jpg

Orso-dragon-scale-Betta-2.jpg

Orso-dragon-scale-Betta-3.jpg

Orso-dragon-scale-Betta-4.jpg

Orso-dragon-scale-Betta-5.jpg

Orso-dragon-scale-Betta-6.jpg

Hope to do more of these in the future.

Beautiful shots, as usual, Mo. Nice to see you have added this forum to your list of places to post great pictures.

Back
Top Bottom