too much charcoal...possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicfishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok, so fi you buy a box or bottle of activated carbon ( charcoal, whatever ya wanna call it ) and the instructions say something like " add 4 tbsp for every 10 gallon ) what happens if you put more than that in there? would mess up your water qulaity? kill your fish?

Never thought about it. I've never measured the amount of carbon I put in filters when I actually use it, and no ill effects on my fish as of yet. It will be interesting to see what other members have to say about the subject.

I don't see how it could. Activated carbon does not release anaything into your system, but rather "soaks it up". Keep in mind, activated carbon is for your filter and does not go into your tank at all. I imagine the guidline is just there so you don't think you have to use the entire container in one go. :)

no! think that people have canisters that are for up to 175g tanks and they use them for 55g tanks with a basket full of carb that is made for 175g. did that make any sense lol

lol I didn't think it would hurt anything actually, been wondering if more carbon meant that you keep clearer water

A while back ago I used to use carbon, and would fill my baskets to the max, like I do with ceramic cylinders now, lol. No ill effects. But wouldn't want to do it on a planted tank. Gets rid of too much of the good stuff.

i'll try some extra carbon then, I don't havea planted tank so it shouldn't hurt anything, I just have some coloration I want to get rid of :)

Funny, I haven't used carbon since I started my tank a few months ago (could it be 8 months already?). And any coloration quickly goes away with a few water changes. I'd say don't bother buying any more carbon and use the stuff you have sparingly just in case you need a batch to remove some meds from the water.

well my tankclears up sometimes with a good water change, but I have this nasty brown algewa that keep battling me, it turns my walls brown and water a gross tea color, I've used just about every chemical or product they make and still nothing, I even have really low phophates

Back
Top Bottom